Without Compensation Onboarding
Without Compensation (WOC) Onboarding at BCVA for Students, Residents, Interns, University Staff, Work Study, and Non-Paid Work Experience. Share in our mission to honor America’s Veterans by providing exceptional health care that improves their health and well-being. Battle Creek VA welcomes you and looks forward to providing rewarding experiences that will build strong clinical skills. You are on your way to becoming a part of the VA’s proud tradition of providing the highest quality of care to our Nation’s Heroes!
The WOC onboarding process is coordinated by Learning Resources Service (LRS) and Human Resources Management Service (HRMS) at the Battle Creek VA Health Care System. If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the WOC Team at VHABACWOCTeam@va.gov or 269-223-5239. Please review the instructions on this page and complete these items within the timeframe indicated to avoid delay of your start date.
If you are a returning student - paperwork, training, and fingerprints previously submitted may still be valid. Please contact the WOC Team to determine what needs to be completed at VHABACWOCTeam@va.gov or 269-223-5239.
Extensions of WOC Appointments are granted on a case by case basis and must be requested through email by your VA preceptor two weeks prior to the expiration of your current WOC appointment. Extensions may require refresher training, a new PIV card, and additional paperwork. Please contact the WOC Team to determine what needs to be completed.
VA Dual Employee WOC Trainee Appointment Kit +
VA Dual Employee Quick Guide.
Tool 1. Algorithm for VA Employee/Trainee Dual Appointment Approval Process designed to provide step-by-step guidance through the process of reviewing employee academic training request at a VA medical facility.
Tool 2. Request for Dual VA Employee and Trainee Appointment designed to solicit information to determine employee’s eligibility for academic training at a VA medical facility. The employee seeking a dual trainee appointment shall generate this electronic form. The review and approval process shall strictly follow the outlined order of steps. Relevant VA medical facility leaders shall review the fully completed form and make a final determination. This form’s completion and approval shall precede the Human Resource trainee onboarding process.
Tool 3. VA Dual Employee Trainee Appointment Time Tracking Sheet designed to track employee’s work and training hours while being appointed in a dual employee trainee status. An employee shall complete the form bi-weekly and provide it to the training and work supervisors for verification
Please follow steps 1-9 below (Steps 2-5 must be completed a minimum of 6-12 weeks prior to your rotation).
What: Clinical Rotation/Preceptorship Approval
Who: School Placement Coordinator/Student
When: Up to 4-6 months prior to rotation
All nursing clinical rotations and/or preceptorships must be pre-approved by Learning Resources Services before any paperwork is initiated. Refer to the “Am I Eligible Checklist for HPTs”. Please contact Ms. Rachelle Beebe, Academic Affiliations Program Specialist, at email@example.com or 269-223-6430.
What: Social Security Number and Affiliation Agreement
Who: Student and Affiliated Institution Official(s)
When: 6-12 weeks prior to rotation
All students, residents, interns, and university staff members MUST have a US Social Security Number and appropriate Affiliation Agreement with the Battle Creek VA Medical Center. Please contact Ms. Rachelle Beebe, Academic Affiliations Program Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 269-223-6430.
What: Fingerprinting Appointment and Required Paperwork
When: 6-12 weeks prior to rotation
Please complete or obtain the following paperwork and bring to a walk-in fingerprinting appointment at our Personal Identity Verification (PIV) Card Office (PIV Office is located at 5500 Armstrong Rd., Battle Creek, MI 49037, Building 24, Room 120/121 (documents and map available on website) at your earliest convenience, 6-12 weeks prior to VA start date. Walk in appointments for fingerprints are available Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. If you have any questions about these requirements contact the PIV Office at 269-223-5243 or 269-223-6780.
A. Please bring the following REQUIRED to your fingerprinting appointment:
1. Two forms of ID (acceptable IDs WOC)
2. VA Form OF-306 Dec for Fed Employment
3. PIV Form
4. Application for HPT VA Form 10-2850d
B. Non-Citizens please bring the following:
1. Proof of employment authorization issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service
2. Current passport or visa
3. Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility or Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Report
C. Naturalized Citizens please bring naturalization paperwork
- *Note: If you reside closer to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Saginaw, Iron Mountain, or if you don’t reside in Michigan - arrangements can be made for "courtesy fingerprinting" at one of these locations. Nationwide PIV Card Office Locations - Office of Operations, Security, and Preparedness (va.gov). Call 269-223-5243 or 269-223-6780 for instructions. If you reside near Grand Rapids, Big Rapids, or Lansing - the Battle Creek VA will be the closest fingerprint location for you.
If you are completing your fingerprinting at another VA location:
- Call the phone number to the VA, dial 0 for the operator and ask for the fingerprinting department.
- Provide Battle Creek VA’s office identifiers at your appointment. They are: SON 1131, SOI VA77. They will not be able to complete your appointment without these identifiers
- Fax paperwork to 269-223-5433, Attn: WOC Team within two days of your courtesy fingerprint appointment (paperwork is required 6-12 weeks prior to your start date)
- Email the WOC Team at VHABACWOCTeam@va.gov when you have completed your fingerprint appointment
Note: The fingerprint office is closed on Federal holidays:
New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day
Extended Background Check: Required only if your rotation will exceed 180 calendar days. Please complete 6-12 weeks prior to your VA start date. Contact the WOC Team at VHABACWOCTeam@va.gov or 269-223-5239 to start the process for a full background investigation.
What: Trainee Qualification Certification and Verification
Who: School Placement Coordinator
When: No later than 10 weeks prior to start of rotation
School coordinator must complete TQCVL documents (TQCVL for each student and one TQCVL List for entire cohort). The school coordinator MUST verify accuracy of information. Multi-year programs must submit a TQCVL every year listing all trainees in the program. Errors may cause a delay in rotation start date. Please refer to the TQCVL Guide for instructions.
- TQCVL Guide
- TQCVL Template
- TQCVL List
Note, If your academic program requires Basic Life Support (BLS) training and certification, or you are enrolled in any of the following disciplines: Nursing/RN, NP, APN, DPN, FNP, Medical/Physician, Physician’s Assistant, Psychology, Optometry, Blind Rehabilitation, Pharmacy, Dietitian, Audiology, Social Work, Physical Therapy, Recreation Therapy, Paramedic, Transitional Residence (TR) House Manger, the Affiliate or Academic Institution MUST retain and provide VA with proof of BLS training through American Heart Association or The Military Network if asked. Your training must be current, i.e. not outside of the recommended renewal date listed on the card. If you belong to one of the listed disciplines and have not taken BLS training, you are required to do so at your own expense (or through your school) prior to your start date at the VA. Please ensure the Affiliate or Academic Institution has this on file.
What: TMS Mandatory Online Training for Trainees
When: 6-12 weeks prior to rotation
Once the student has completed all the required forms, they will also need to complete mandatory VA TRAINING via the Talent Management System (TMS). To get started, follow the instructions on the TMS Student Enrollment.
- TMS Enrollment Instructions
Use your school email to create the TMS account.
What: CPRS Training as directed by preceptor (optional)
Optional. Please log into TMS VA TMS 2.0 (See Step 5 for Instructions). Look for ‘Browse the Catalog’ or ‘Browse Catalog’. Enter ‘CPRS’ into the search bar. You should see ‘CPRS Tab by Tab: A Basic Orientation (VA 35795)’. Please click on this title and click to start course. If you need assistance with TMS, please reach out to Rachelle.email@example.com or 269-223-6430.
What: First Day In-Processing at VA (Building 24, room 118A)
When: First day of rotation at the VA
Please report to Human Resources for in-processing at 8:00 a.m., unless stated otherwise by your school or preceptor. If your school or preceptor has informed you of a different start time, please send an email to inform the WOC Team at VHABACWOCTeam@va.gov. Please bring two pieces of identification from list in step 3. Identification must be original, valid, and not expired. Photocopies will not be accepted.
All students, even those rotating at the Veterans Outreach Center, or at one of Battle Creek VA’s affiliated Community Based Outpatient Clinics (Benton Harbor, Lansing, Muskegon, Wyoming) must in-process in Battle Creek. You will report to your rotation location after in-processing.
Report to Battle Creek VA Medical Center, Human Resources - Building 24, Room 118A. Park in Lot A. (see VA map below)
What: VA trainee satisfaction survey
When: Anytime during rotation
Please be sure to complete the Office of Academic Affiliations (OAA) VA Learners’ Perception Survey at the end of your rotation at https://www.va.gov/oaa/current-trainee-survey.asp. Information from this survey provides feedback to identify areas of excellence as well as areas needing improvement. The survey should take about 10 minutes to complete.
What: WOC Clearing Station Form
When: Last day of rotation
At the end of the rotation, if you are not returning for a future rotation, each student must process out. On the last day of rotation, allow enough time to log into VA email to access the WOC clearing station form.
Please complete the PDF clearance sheet and give this to the PIV office (building 24, room 121) on your way off station, see below for form instructions.
• Item No. 1: Please input Service ADPAC as the Clearance Official and date.
• Item No. 2: Please input Service ADPAC and date.
• Item No. 4: Please input your preceptor as the Clearance Official and date. Please state what is returned or ‘no items checked out’.
• Item No. 5: Please input Service staff as the RLO and date. Please state ‘no documents saved in U: drive’ and please be sure your U: drive has been emptied.
• Item No. 6: If you received any vehicle decals, please call Ex 33645 and relay to the Police Service Secretary Ms. Connie Chapman that you are clearing station, she will likely tell you to remove any decals on your car and to input the date and her initials on the form. If you did not register your vehicle here, then please input N/A and date.
• Item No. 7: Please call Ex 35700 or 35494 and relay that you are clearing station, they will ask if you have any IT equipment checked out.
• Item No. 8: Please hand this form to the PIV Office staff Bld 24 Room 121 on your way off campus AND hand them your PIV card. (PIV cards are federal property).
*Please return any items received (IT equipment, Keys, Lab Coat, etc.) to your preceptor or Service staff. Note: residents/students who fail to return applicable items may be ticketed and fined.
Points of Contact:
Academic Affiliations Program Specialist
Battle Creek PIV Office