At the Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System, we’re dedicated to improving the lives of Veterans and their families.
About Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System
The VA Central Alabama Healthcare System provides you with outstanding health care, trains America’s future health care providers, and conducts important medical research.
Health care and services
We provide you with health care services at 9 locations in Alabama and western Georgia. Facilities include our Central Alabama VA Medical Center-Montgomery and our Central Alabama VA Medical Center-Tuskegee. We also have 7 community-based outpatient clinics in Dothan, Fort Rucker, Montgomery, and Monroeville, Alabama; and Columbus and Fort Benning, Georgia. To learn more about the services each location offers, visit the VA Central Alabama health services page.
The VA Central Alabama Healthcare System is one of the leading health care systems serving Veterans in the VA Southeast Network. We’re an innovative care center within the Veterans Integrated Service Network 7 (VISN 7), which includes medical centers and clinics in Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina.
Research and development
At the VA Central Alabama Healthcare System, we conduct research to discover knowledge, develop VA scientists and health care leaders, and create innovations that advance health care for Veterans and the nation. We offer Veterans the opportunity to participate in and benefit from our work. Our goal is to use research to promote better health and health care for all.
Teaching and learning
The VA Central Alabama Healthcare System has teaching hospitals that provide a full range of health services for Veterans, with state-of-the-art technology as well as education and research. Our training programs educate students in the following health care fields:
- Dental assistant
- Health administration
- Health information management
- Medical laboratory technology
- Occupational therapy
- Optometry externships
- Physical therapy
- Recreational therapy
- Social work
- Speech pathology
We offer a paid internship program to predoctoral and postdoctoral entry-level psychologists. The major rotation areas of the program include:
- Primary care psychology
- Chronic pain
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Sexual trauma
- Outpatient mental health care
- High intensity psychiatric unit
We are affiliated with 24 academic and professional education institutions including the following:
- Morehouse School of Medicine
- Alabama State University
- Auburn University
- University of Alabama
- Tuskegee University
We’re proud of our partnerships with top institutions and organizations that support the educational mission of the VA.
- In April 2020 VA Central Alabama Healthcare System became first in the nation to offer the Tele-glaucoma program to Veterans.
- The Tuskegee Veterans Administration Medical Center was established in 1923 to provide long-term care for the 300,000 African-American Veterans in the then-segregated South after World War I. In 1997, the Tuskegee and Montgomery Medical Centers merged to form the Health Care System. In 2012, the Tuskegee campus was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- VA Central Alabama Healthcare System serves more than 49,000 Veterans in a 39-county area that covers central Alabama and parts of western Georgia.
- The CAVHCS Fire Department on the Tuskegee Campus enjoys a mutually beneficial relationship with the surrounding rural communities through agreements to provide mutual aid in emergency cases
- Over 433,000 outpatient visits per year.
Accreditation and achievements
Our facilities and programs have received accreditation from:
- The Joint Commission
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities
- Commission on Accreditation of the American Psychological Association
The VA Central Alabama Healthcare System received the following awards:
- The Alabama Excellence Award
- Montgomery Clean City Commission Award for Grounds and Overall Appearance