Pharmacy Residency Program
The CAVHS Pharmacy Residency Program offers a well-rounded curriculum with experiences in both acute care and ambulatory care settings. As the referral center for VA Medical Centers in our region, CAVHS provides the opportunity to care for a variety of patients.
- October 13, 2023, 2:00 to 4:30 PM (CDT), TTUHSC School of Pharmacy Virtual Residency showcase. Register here by Sept 29, free
- October 18, 2023, VA/IHS Residency Showcase, 1:00 to 3:00 PM (CDT), FREE, no registration required, Join meeting
- October 24, 2023 5:00 to 6:00 PM (CDT), ACCP & SNPhA Virtual Residency Showcase, Register here for free
- AAHP Fall Seminar, Residency Showcase, Little Rock, Arkansas, October 27, 08:30 to 10:00 AM (CDT), in person. Information and Registration here
- December 4, 2023, 1:00 PM to 4:00 (PST) – in person at the ASHP Clinical Meeting Residency Showcase in Anaheim, California
2023-2024 PGY1 Pharmacy Residents (L-R): Brendan Midkiff, PharmD; Taylor Connor, MPH, PharmD; Colby Glatter, PharmD, MBA; Emily Campbell, PharmD; Chase Petersen, PharmD, MBA; Katie Willard, PharmD.
2022-2023 PGY2 Pharmacy Residents: Jaden Chandler, PharmD (Ambulatory Care) and Jennifer Kathol, BS, PharmD (Pain Management/Palliative Care).
About the program
Pharmacy Service at CAVHS is progressive and growing. We employ more than 100 pharmacists in operations and clinical areas. Clinical Pharmacists are an integral part of the treatment teams, serving medicine, critical care, surgical, long-term care, emergency department, and infectious disease teams. They also practice in various outpatient clinics including primary care, geriatrics, home-based primary care, mental health, CHF, and hepatitis C. Clinical pharmacy services are in high demand at this federal facility, giving us ample opportunity to develop innovative and advanced patient care practices in collaboration with the medical staff.
CAVHS has an academic affiliation and physical connection with the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, home to the UAMS College of Pharmacy. Pharmacy Residents in the CAVHS program complete a Teaching Certificate Program and a offered by Research Certificate Program the UAMS College of Pharmacy. Our residents are also appointed as adjunct faculty and facilitate the Therapeutics Recitation course for 2nd and 3rd year Pharmacy students. Additional lecture opportunities are also offered for those wishing to explore academia.
Application Deadline: January 3
- PhORCAS – Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service
- ASHP Resident Matching Program
- Am I Eligible - Checklist for VA Health Profession Trainees
All residents must be United States citizens and have graduated from an American Council on Pharmaceutical Education accredited college or school of pharmacy. Applicants must meet requirements for federal employment, including physical exam. See link above for complete checklist of requirements for VA employment as a pharmacy resident.
PGY1 residents are required to obtain a pharmacist license from any US state no later than 120 days from the start of the residency.
Candidates for the PGY2 specialty residencies should have completed an ASHP Accredited PGY1 Residency. In addition, PGY2 Residents must hold an active pharmacist license in good standing in 1 of the 50 states of the United States of America or the District of Columbia. However, note that an Arkansas Pharmacist license may also be required. See program specific requirements.
Participation in the seasonal influenza and Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination programs are requirements for all Department of Veterans Affairs health care personnel and trainees.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official transcript from an ACPE accredited pharmacy program
- Letter of intent
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
- Three references using recommendation form through PhORCAS (PGY2 applicants: one must be from PGY1 RPD)
- Copy of intern/pharmacist license
Applications will only be accepted through PhORCAS. Please combine proof of citizenship and the copy of your intern/pharmacist license into one PDF document and upload it into PhORCAS as a supplemental document. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. Special consideration will be given to applications submitted prior to December 24.
PGY1 and PGY2 Curriculums and Rotations
This residency agrees that no person at this residency will solicit, accept, or use any ranking-related information from any residency applicant.