Volunteer or donate
VA Central Ohio Healthcare System depends on the goodwill of our supporters. You can make a difference when you help us serve our Veterans.
Become a volunteer
Volunteers provide many important functions throughout the health care system and help make our patients' stay more enjoyable. Volunteers can perform a number of services, and a volunteer's talents are closely matched with one of our many assignments.
To become a volunteer, fill out an application and return it to our Voluntary Services office. You can drop the form off in person or mail the form to VA Central Ohio Healthcare System Voluntary Services Office:
VA Central Ohio Healthcare System
ATTN: Voluntary Services
420 N. James Road
Columbus, OH 43219
A voluntary service specialist will contact you about next steps and to set up an interview.
Benefits & requirements
In addition to supporting Veterans in your area, you'll enjoy the following benefits as a VA volunteer:
- Free Canteen meals during shifts of four or more hours
- Duty/tax free shopping at our retail store
- Scholarship opportunities for youth volunteers
- Virtual volunteer opportunities
- Free parking at your volunteer facility
- Educational opportunities, such as CPR training
- Annual tuberculosis test
- Free annual flu shots
- Job skills development
- Career exploration opportunities
- Passing required background check (agency provided)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Team player
- Commitment of at least four hours per week
Whatever your interests, VA has volunteer opportunities for you. Our volunteer duties fall into three categories: Recreational (focused on general support services), Clinical (focused on patient care), and Operational (focused on logistical or administrative tasks).
- Wheelchair Escort - Escort patients to various clinics throughout the facility
- Recreation/Whole Health - Assist with arts and crafts projects, help Whole Health Team with a variety of different activities.
- Coffee program - Prepare and serve coffee and refreshments.
- Pharmacy - Assist the pharmacy department with pick up window.
- Food and nutrition - Assist Oncology patients with selecting meals and delivering those meals during their appointments.
- Radiology - Escort patients to and from Radiology appointments.
- Ambassador volunteers - Greet outpatients, guests, visitors and patients' families, answer phones and transfer calls. Ambassador volunteers are stationed at the main information desk.
- Urgent Care - Run errands and escort patients.
- Surgical waiting room - Greet families, serve coffee, meet with medical staff, and provide information to families.
- Compassionate Contact Corps – Call patients to provide telephone companionship for Veterans who are homebound or isolated.
- Patient Reminder Calls – Call patients to remind them of their upcoming medical appointments.
- Office assistant - Type, file, answer phones, keep records, and do data entry.
- Volunteer Transportation Network (VTN) - Drive patients from to and from VA medical appointments.
- Mail Delivery – Act as courier for internal mail.
- Virtual Volunteer Opportunities – Various
For more information you can:
- Stop by the Voluntary Services office Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Call the Voluntary Services office at 614-257-5493
- Email Voluntary Services at VHACOSCDCEVolunteerServices@VA.gov
Make a donation
Generous donations from the community helps us provide enhanced services to Veterans receiving care. You can make a monetary donation by mail or drop off a donation of materials to our facility after coordinating with Voluntary services staff.
Donate by mail
If you'd like to donate to VACOHCS, please send a check (payable to "VA Central Ohio Healthcare System") to the following address:
VA Central Ohio Healthcare System
Attention: Voluntary Service (00V)
420 North James Road
Columbus, OH 43219
How to make a material (in-kind) donation in person
Some donors prefer to make monetary contributions to VA Central Ohio Healthcare System, and others prefer to donate goods needed by Veterans. We accept donations at our main facility and can arrange for donations to be delivered to our Community Based Outpatient Clinics. (CBOCS)
Your material donations are used to support various programs for the Veterans we serve:
For more information on donating materials, or to schedule a time to drop off your donation, please contact Voluntary Services:
The following list outlines to most needed in-kind donations for our Veterans.
- Roll-on deodorant (travel size)
- Dental supplies: toothbrushes, toothpaste, toothbrush holders, non-alcoholic mouthwash (small size), and denture adhesive
- Shaving cream or gel (travel size)
- Reading glasses
- Body-care products: body splash, lotion, and body wash
- 3 and 1 body wash
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Disinfectant wipes
- Hand sanitizers
- Chips, pretzels, snack crackers, and granola bars (single serving sizes)
- Soda (Regular and diet soda; caffeine free is preferred)
- Pudding cups
- Slim Jims
- Coffee (regular or decaf) and coffee creamer
- Grocery gift cards
- Gift cards for outpatient programs
- Markers for art projects
- Canteen (meal) Coupons
- Bus Passes
- Gas Cards
Donations provide for the increasing needs of the Veterans we serve. All donations are tax-deductible.
Donate money or time
If you would like to volunteer to donate your time, or financially, please call the Voluntary Service Office at 614-257-5493 or visit the VA Voluntary Service Volunteer or Donate Page.