Volunteer or donate
VA Central Texas Healthcare System depends on the goodwill of our supporters. You can make a difference when you help us serve our Veterans.
Become a volunteer
Join our volunteer team and experience the rewards of helping our nation’s Veterans. We’ll match your talents with one of our many volunteer opportunities. To become a volunteer, call or visit our Voluntary Service Office:
Voluntary Service Offices:
Temple Office: Building 171, Room CO 5-7
Austin Office: 512-823-4525
Waco Office Building 6: 254-297-3596
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT
As a VA volunteer, you’ll support Veterans in your area, meet interesting people, and gain valuable experience in a health care setting. You’ll also enjoy benefits like:
- Free annual flu shot, Covid19, and tuberculosis test
- Educational opportunities, like CPR training
- Free parking, and canteen meals during shifts of 4 hours or more
- Job search opportunities
- Job skills development
Whatever your interests, we have volunteer opportunities that are right for you. Here are some of the ways you can help:
- Escort - Bring patients to medical clinics, chapel, recreation, and programs.
- Front desk - Greet outpatients, guests, visitors, and patients' families, answer phones, and transfer calls at the information desk.
- Medical clinics - Visit with patients
- Volunteer Driver- Drive Veterans to their appointments
- Shadowing/Observation Program: College students commit to shadowing a preceptor
- Canteen – Work in retail store and cafeteria, washing dishes, wiping tables, and filling condiments
- Grounds crew - Help groundskeeper wash equipment, trim landscape, and sweep area.
- Office assistance - Type, file, answer phones, keep records, enter data, and call patients to remind them about appointments.
- Transportation - Drive patients from designated pickup points to VA medical centers. Must have current driver’s license, auto insurance, and physical exam.
Other assignments not listed here may also be available. If you’re interested in volunteering, or if you have special skills to offer, please contact us so we can discuss how you can best help our Veterans.
While some volunteer assignments must be performed at specific times, most are flexible and can fit your schedule. We also have special short-term projects.
Donations from people like you help us provide more services to our Veterans. We accept cash donations as well as physical items our Veterans need. You can donate online, by mail, or in person. All donations are tax-deductible. Please contact your local Voluntary Service Office to arrange to drop off any large items.
Donating is just a click away now that VA medical centers accept donations online. You just need a major credit card, debit card, checking account, or savings account.
The service provides a quick, safe way for you to pledge your support to Veterans online. You choose the medical center, the amount, and the voluntary program you’d like to help. And there are no extra fees to use the secure website, so every penny of your donation goes to help Veterans.
Donate by mail
Please send a check payable to Central Texas Veterans Health Care System to:
Central Texas Veterans Health Care System
Voluntary Service Office/135T
1901 Veterans Memorial Drive
Temple, Texas 76504
Donate These Items
Some people prefer to give money while others would rather donate specific items needed by our Veterans. We’re grateful for all donations.
Our Veterans appreciate:
- Personal care items
- New clothing, socks, and underwear
- Books, puzzles, games, and art supplies
- Lap robes and blankets
- Kitchen supplies
- Cleaning supplies
Please contact the Voluntary Service Office if you have any questions about donations.