Volunteer or donate
VA Central Western Massachusetts Healthcare System depends on the goodwill of our supporters. You can make a difference when you help us serve our Veterans.
Become a volunteer
VA Central Western Massachusetts Healthcare System depends on the goodwill of donors and volunteers who want to give something back to America's heroes. Volunteers provide much-needed help throughout the health care system and make patients' experiences more enjoyable. Many different volunteer opportunities are available, and each volunteer's talents are closely matched with one of our assignments.
Volunteer at our health care facility
To become a volunteer, fill out an application. Print it, sign it, and mail it to us. A specialist will contact you to schedule an interview.
Benefits of volunteering
In addition to supporting Veterans in your area, you'll enjoy the following benefits as a VA volunteer:
- Free Canteen meals during shifts of four or more hours
- Annual tuberculosis test
- Free annual flu shots
Whatever your interests, VA has volunteer opportunities for you.
- Escort - Escort Veterans in wheelchairs or on gurneys to and from events in the theater, at outdoor picnics, barbecues, etc.
- Produce market - Break down pallets of fresh fruits and veggies for distribution
- Recreation - Assist with arts and crafts projects.
- Chapel - Escort patients to religious services.
- Entertainers - Singers, dancers, and comedians, share your talent with an appreciative audience.
Garden Club and Greenhouse care - Water and tend to plants as needed early morning. Adopt a garden bed with your organization and care for it throughout the season.
- Ambassador volunteers - Greet outpatients, guests, visitors and patients' families, answer phones and transfer calls. Ambassador volunteers are stationed at the main information desk.
- Hospice - Provide companionship and assistance to Veterans who are entering the final stages of life. Volunteers “fill in” and provide comfort at the bedside at times when family and friends are unable to be present.
- Compassionate Contact Corps (virtual only) - Telephone and video chat. Make weekly calls with a Veteran or Caregiver who could use a friendly telephone visit!
Adopt-a-Ward program - A volunteer group sponsors recreation activities on various in-patient units, including Adopt-a-Holiday.
Library - Assist the librarian, help patients use special visual aid equipment, deliver books to patient rooms, and stock book racks.
- Office assistant - Type, file, answer phones, keep records, and do data entry.
- DAV transportation - Drive patients from their homes to VA medical centers.
If you have questions about donating or volunteering, contact VA Central Western Massachusetts Center for Development and Civic Engagement (CDCE)
Phone: 413-584-4040 ext. 2340
VA Central Western Massachusetts Healthcare System
Mountain Building 11
421 N Main Street
Leeds, MA 01053
Volunteer as a driver
Many sick and disabled Veterans lack transportation to and from VA medical facilities, and the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) operates a nationwide transportation network to meet this need. DAV and auxiliary volunteers drive Veterans to and from VA hospitals and clinics, helping people get the care they deserve.
VA Central Western Massachusetts Healthcare System and the DAV work with county Veterans Affairs directors to provide transportation for Veterans to and from VA Central Western Massachusetts for scheduled medical appointments.
Become a volunteer driver
To learn more about becoming a DAV driver, contact VA Central Western Massachusetts CDCE.
Phone: 413-584-4040 ext. 2340
Make a donation
Generous donations from people like you help helps us provide enhanced services to Veterans receiving care. You can make a monetary donation by mail, or drop off a donation of materials to one of our main campuses.
Donate money or time
If you would like to volunteer to donate your time, or some financial assistance, please visit the VA Center for Development and Civic Engagement Volunteer or Donate Page.
How to make a material donation in person
Some donors prefer to make monetary contributions to VA Bedford Healthcare System, and others prefer to donate goods needed by Veterans. Please call us to determine our current needs before making any donations.
Phone: 413-584-4040 ext.2340