Change your VA direct deposit information
Learn how to change your direct deposit information for your VA benefit payments.
By April 20, 2024, you must have a single bank account for all VA benefit payments
Check your direct deposit information in your VA.gov profile. If you currently have more than one bank account listed for disability compensation, pension, and education benefit payments, you'll need to update your information. You must have the same account listed for all benefits.
We’re making this change to help protect you from fraud and to make sure we can pay you on time, every time, without error.
Change your information for certain benefits in your VA.gov profile
You can update your direct deposit information for these 3 types of benefit payments in your VA.gov profile:
- Disability compensation payments
- Education benefit payments
- Pension payments
You’ll need your bank account and routing number.
How to get help with changing your information in your profile
Questions you may have about direct deposit information
As of April 20, 2024, we’ll send all payments you may receive for disability compensation, pension, and education benefits to one single bank account. We’re making this change to help protect you from fraud.
Here’s what you need to do now:
- If you currently get your education benefit payments by direct deposit, sign in and go to your VA.gov profile with a verified Login.gov or ID.me account. Go to the Direct deposit information section. Check your direct deposit information for each benefit. If your bank accounts don’t match, update the information so it's the same for all benefits.
- If you currently get education benefit payments by paper check, you’ll need to first set up direct deposit by phone or through your local VA regional office. Call us at 800-827-1000 (TTY: 711). We’re here Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET. For international direct deposit updates, call us at 918-781-7550. We’re here Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET.
Here’s how to set up direct deposit by phone:
- Call us at 800-827-1000 (TTY: 711). We’re here Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET.
- For international direct deposit updates, call us at 918-781-7550. We’re here Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET.
To set up direct deposit in person, go to your nearest VA regional office.
Find your nearest VA regional office
Note: If you don’t have access to the internet or a phone, you can update your direct deposit information with the Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form (VA Form SF-1199a).
The Veterans Benefits Banking Program (VBBP) provides a list of Veteran-friendly banks and credit unions that will work with you to set up an account, or help you qualify for an account, so you can use direct deposit.
To get started, call one of the participating banks or credit unions listed on the VBBP website. Be sure to mention the Veterans Benefits Banking Program.