PGY2 Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Residency
The Ralph H. Johnson VAMC offers a 52-week PGY2 Ambulatory Care Pharmacy residency designed to develop the knowledge and clinical skills necessary to practice in a wide array of ambulatory care settings. The goal of this residency is to provide experiential training in ambulatory care pharmacy practice to prepare pharmacists to become independent clinical practitioners of direct patient care with the skills necessary for attainment of a clinical pharmacy position in ambulatory care and knowledge to obtain board certification as an ambulatory care pharmacist.
Residency Program Specifics
- Duration: 52 weeks
- Number of Positions: 2
- Application Deadline: December 31
- Estimated Starting Date: July 1(may vary slightly each year)
- Estimated Stipend: $50,679 (may vary slightly each year)
- Doctor of Pharmacy Degree (Pharm.D.) from an ACPE-Accredited College of Pharmacy
- Licensure may be through any U.S. State Board of Pharmacy
- U.S. citizenship
- Application, Curriculum Vitae, Academic Transcripts, Letter of Intent and Three Letters of Reference
- Interview (may be virtual with option for on-site interview if desired)
- Completion of an accredited PGY1 Residency
Following orientation in July, the residency is made up of core, longitudinal, extended, and elective experiences.
Core Rotation Experiences:
- Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) (Primary Care) – extended experience (12 months)
- Specialty (Neurology) – extended experience (6 months)
- Anticoagulation – extended experience (5 months)
- Primary Care Mental Health Integration (PCMHI) or Pain Management (2 months)
- Pharmacy Administration (1 month)
Elective Rotation Experiences
Elective rotation experiences may be 1 to 2 months in duration, with potential to combine certain specialty areas. The resident also has the opportunity to request to complete additional elective time in a core rotation if desired. During these months, the resident tailors the residency to his/her/their interest area(s). Potential electives include:
- Geriatrics/Home Based Primary Care (HBPC)
- Infectious Disease
- Specialty – cardiology, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, dermatology, women’s health
- Prior Authorization Drug Request (PADR) Consult Management
- Clinical Service Research Project
- Pharmacy Service Expansion Project
- Staffing (anticipated minimum of 14 hours per month)
- Pharmacy Student Journal Club Presentation Coordinator
Requirements to receive Residency Certificate
- Meet all ASHP PGY2 Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Residency Requirements, including achievement of all four required outcomes.
- Satisfactory completion of all rotational experiences.
- Compliance with all institutional and departmental policies.
- Completion of a clinical service research project including formal presentation of findings at the Southeastern Residency Conference (SERC) and a manuscript acceptable for publication or presentation.
- Completion of a pharmacy service expansion project.
- Present and participate in Resident Topic Discussion and Journal Club meetings.
- Completion and presentation of an approved continuing education (CE) presentation.
- Completion of a Medication Use Evaluation (MUE).
- Completion of all assignments, presentations and projects as defined by the preceptors and residency program director, including a Quality Assurance (QA) project and/or a Cost-savings Initiative Project.
- Participate in the development and implementation of a collaborative practice agreement.
- Participation in the departmental process for teaching activities, which may include clinical and didactic teaching for pharmacy students, PGY 1 Pharmacy Practice residents, medical students and residents, hospital personnel, and departmental staff.
- Completion of staffing commitment.
- Active participation in the recruitment efforts of the department.
- Four hours vacation and sick leave earned per pay period (every two weeks)
- Paid administrative leave for educational meetings
- Financial support to help with attendance to professional meetings
- Opportunity for continuing education credits
- Pharmacist salary for staffing hours (in addition to/separate from residency stipend)
- Health and Life insurance available
- Free parking
Chief of Pharmacy