New Employee Orientation
Welcome to the Ralph H. Johnson Team! We strive to hire only the best and we’re glad to have you coming on-board. As a new employee at the Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center you attend our on campus New Employee Orientation (NEO). Orientation is a 2-day program, that is from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. You will receive the dates for orientation in your correspondence with our Human Resources Department.
Our campus is located at, 109 Bee Street, Charleston, SC 29401. However, our parking is located off site with more information below. During New Employee Orientation you will be introduced to the Department of Veterans Affairs and our unique mission, as well as have an opportunity to hear about many of the benefits that are available to VA employees and eligible family members. To ensure that our new employees understand the paperwork process, all forms will be discussed during orientation to include Health Benefit Election, Life Insurance Election, Direct Deposit, and Thrift Savings Plan documentation.
Before Your First Day
Congratulations! We are so excited you are joining the Ralph H. Johnson VA Team. We are excited to welcome you aboard. Once you've received and accepted your tentative job offer to join our team, it will include detailed instructions on the next steps needed to prepare to join the New Employee Orientation.
Once you accept the offer you will have access to our on-line onboarding system for the completion of new hire forms. Tasks assigned allow you to complete any required forms and communicate those specific assignments have been done to complete the onboarding process. These may depend on the position you were selected for, but typical “onboarding” steps include:
- Complete new hire documents and forms online.
- Have your fingerprints taken for a background check.
- Pass a physical and drug test (if applicable).
- Enroll in VetPro, VA’s web-based credentialing system—follow this guide for help.
- Order your official college transcript(s) addressed directly to the facility (if applicable).
Your tentative offer will include your supervisor and human resource team member’s contact information. They will be your guide and support during your onboarding process. Additionally our human resources department contact is:
Ralph H. Johnson VA Health Care System HR
109 Bee Street Charleston SC
Human Resources Management Services. Second Floor
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET
In order to facilitate in-processing at the Ralph H. Johnson VAMC, we request that you complete the required paperwork prior to your arrival.
A list of forms, documents and resources has been provided below to ensure you have completed all of the mandatory processing elements. Make sure you have a printer available and please note that some of these forms cannot be saved.
Complete Charleston VAMC ID Badge Form (Section 1 only)
Note: 2 forms of ID are required to pick up your badge (Driver's License and Social Security Card are suggested)
Non-VA Transfer Employees
- Read the PDF version of VA Privacy and Information Security Awareness Course.
- You will need to initial each page of Appendix A: Rules of Behavior for VA Employees (page 48-54) and sign page 55. This will signify completion of training. ***ONLY Submit pages 48-55.
VA Transfer Employees
- Read & Initial each page of the VA National Rules of Behavior. ***Submit all pages.
- Log on to the VA Online Learning System (TMS) and print off your latest Information Security certificate Course: VA 10176 VA Privacy and Information Security and Rules of Behavior
- Provide your Username and the VA name that you are transferring from.
Submission of Items
Please bring original signed documents and copies to New Employee Orientation.
- Copy of your current PPD (Must be within one year)
- Copy of your current Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification (Required for all direct care staff, including Providers, Nurses, Allied Health, etc.)
- Copy of your Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification (Required for licensed staff in ICU, Emergency Department and Interventional areas.)
- Two forms of Photo Identification
- Professional License(s) - For licensed employees only (Bring all original registered licenses for verification.)
If you are a new employee working in Savannah, Beaufort, Hinesville, or Myrtle Beach:
- You will be reimbursed by the medical center for your travel. In order to begin the reimbursement process you must complete the ACH Vendor Form and fax to our Travel Office at 205-554-2048 (Attention: Lenny Gilliland)
- Please keep in mind that you will need to retain a copy of your receipts.
Resources are provided below to help prepare you for your first day with the Ralph H. Johnson VA Health Care System. Make sure to review the attached Smoke-Free Policy and note that smoking is prohibited anywhere on our VA campuses.