Skip to Content

Dental Care

If you are interested in dental care through VHA, there are a few things you should know.

Dental Care Eligibility

If you are 100% service connected or have service connections related to dental injuries sustained during your service, you are eligible for VHA dental care.

If you are not, here are some options to support your dental care needs:

Good to know information:

The Cheyenne VA HCS sends many Veterans into the community because we can not provide dental services within the VHA or because you meet the eligibility standards for Mission Act, meaning greater than 28 days or you live 60 minutes away from the nearest VHA that can provide the service you need.

Veterans who qualify for community care are still required to see a VHA Dentist once every 2 years.   Please consider calling and scheduling an appointment annually.


If you aren’t eligible for VHA Dental services, here are some options you may consider:

University of Colorado Dental School (Anschutz Medical Center campus): CU Dental School offers deeply discounted dental services

  • Dental Care Team Clinic: Up to 55 percent discount off fees
  • Graduate Periodontics Clinic: Up to 45 percent discount off fees
  • General Practice Residency Clinic: Up to 45 percent discount off fees

Please note while the screening appointment is free, if you need x-rays the cost will be up to $90. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call: 303-724-6900.

VA Dental Insurance Program (VADIP): Through Met Life and Delta Dental

You may be eligible for VADIP if you meet one of these requirements.

  • You are a Veteran who is enrolled in VA health care, or
  • You are the current or surviving spouse or dependent child of a Veteran or service member, and you’re enrolled in the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the VA (CHAMPVA)

Note: Insurance carriers may offer separate coverage options for dependents who aren’t CHAMPVA beneficiaries

Medicare/Medicaid – Program of all-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE)

Who can get PACE?

You can have either Medicare or Medicaid, or both, to join PACE. PACE is only available in some states that offer PACE under Medicaid. To qualify for PACE, you must:

  • Be 55 or older
  • Live in the service area of a PACE organization
  • Need a nursing home-level of care (as certified by your state)
  • Be able to live safely in the community with help from PACE

PACE provides all the care and services covered by Medicare and Medicaid if authorized by your health care team. If your health care team decides you need care and services that Medicare and Medicaid doesn't cover, PACE may still cover them.

Here are some of the services PACE covers:

  • Dentistry
  • Adult day primary care (including doctor and recreational therapy nursing services)
  • Emergency services
  • Home care
  • Hospital care
  • Laboratory/x-ray services
  • Meals
  • Medical specialty services
  • Nursing home care
  • Nutritional counseling
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physical therapy
  • Prescription drugs
  • Preventive care
  • Social services, including caregiver training, support groups, and respite care
  • Social work counseling
  • Transportation to the PACE center for activities or medical appointments, if medically necessary

You are eligible for VHA Dental care and want an appointment:

  • Call 307-778-7550, ext. 7310 to schedule an appointment through our dental office
  • If you are approved to see a community provider, you must follow the authorization dates and services, or you will receive a bill
  • You do not need to provide the community dentist with your private dental insurance if the care is approved by the VHA
  • If your community provider request to see you beyond initial authorization, the community dentist MUST fax this request and dental records to fax number:
  • Please see your VHA dentist once every 2 years if you need additional