Skip to Content

Psychiatric - Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Residency Program

Welcome to the homepage of Jesse Brown VA’s Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Residency! In partnership with University of Illinois Chicago and support from VA’s Office of Academic Affiliations (OAA), Jesse Brown VA is excited to now offer a Mental Health-Nurse Practitioner Residency Program. This 12-month residency provides intensive clinical and academic experiences for new graduates transitioning into professional roles as PMHNPs.


To provide mentorship and foster a supportive interprofessional learning environment that facilitates the development from novice PMHNPs to competent, independent practitioners while addressing the mental health care needs of Veterans.

Program Description

This is a cohort-based training program that is federally funded and completed under protected time (residents are not included in facility staffing). It is a comprehensive, competency-based training program that incorporates multiple learning modalities and is structured to ensure that residents are awarded several opportunities to explore the various treatment specialties across multiple settings including emergency, inpatient, outpatient, residential and group therapy. Residents will also be assigned to a continuity clinic for prescribing.

A total of 2080 hours is required for successful completion of the program. Clinical rotations will fulfill 80% of those hours (32 hours/week) while the remaining 20% (8 hours/week) will be dedicated towards didactic activities designed to supplement graduate education, promote personal growth and accelerate professional development beyond entry-level competency. The program also encourages exploration of specific areas of interest and development of unique career paths.

Upon successful completion of the residency, a certificate of completion is awarded that is recognized throughout the Veterans Health Administration and residency graduates will be recognized locally (at Jesse Brown VA) during an awards ceremony.


  • Must be a U.S. citizen or a naturalized U.S. citizen
  • Must be proficient in written / spoken English
  • The residency must be your first position serving as a PMHNP
  • Have a current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a Registered Nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico) of the United States , or the District of Columbia, before the program start date
  • Must have graduated from an advanced practice psychiatric nursing program (accredited by CCNE or ACEN) within 12 months preceding the residency start date
  • Posses current national certification as a PMHNP from ANCC or AANP
  • Posses current / active BLS Certification
  • A Nurse Practitioner state licensure with prescriptive license must be obtained within 90 days of program start date
  • Residency acceptance may also be contingent upon:

    ◦ Successful passing of background / security investigation, as required by the Veterans Health Administration

    ◦ Successful passing of pre-employment health screening / tuberculosis skin testing / up-to-date vaccinations for healthcare workers as recommended by CDC and VA (or applicable waiver in accordance with VA policy)

Compensation and Benefits

  • Competitive stipend
  • Benefits package that includes paid annual leave, sick leave, federal holidays off and health benefits (4 hours of sick leave and 4 hours of vacation/annual leave per 2-week pay period)
  •   Hiring preference for open positions within Veterans Health Administration on successful completion of the residency program

Application Process

Application requirements:

  • When submitting your application, submit the following documents:
    • Updated Resume / Curriculum Vitae 
    • Proof of current state licensure (RN / APRN)
    • Personal statement (250 words or less) describing your aspirations for the residency program, your short-term and long-term career goals, and your interest in working with Veterans
    • Three letters of recommendation (1 must be from a faculty member from your graduate program; the remaining 2 can be from your clinical preceptors or employer / supervisor who can speak on your clinical abilities)

Application Due dates 

  • May 31st, 2024

Program Start Dates

  • September 2024

Program Contact

Jesse D. Herron, DNP, APRN, PMHNP-BC, PMH-BC

Program Director