Post-Baccalaureate Nurse Residency Program
Are you a new graduate registered nurse? Cincinnati VA Medical Center is a great place to begin your career.
Our nurse residency program include didactic and precepted clinical experiences. These experiences are designed to provide the new graduate RN opportunities to effectively transition to competent professional nurses, with focus on developing effective decision-making skills, incorporating evidence into practice, supporting clinical leadership at point of care and promoting life-long learning and resilience in nursing practice. You will practice collaboratively in an interprofessional model and gain an integrated perspective of nursing leadership and the VA healthcare system
Are you a new RN ready to take your knowledge and skills to the next level? As a nurse resident, your experience will cover multiple clinical settings at the VA Cincinnati Medical Center. The year is like a fellowship – you will earn significant work experience, training and skill development opportunities that are not typically available to someone starting out in an entry-level nursing position.
- Our program will produce residents that provide evidence-based, high quality, patient centered care in complex care environments.
- Our program will foster the integration of interprofessional collaboration into PBNR graduates’ practice.
- Our program will produce future healthcare leaders in the professional practice of nursing.
- Our program will produce skilled proficient and effective faculty, preceptors, and mentors.
- Our Program will increase new RN graduate satisfaction with their transition from entry level Advanced beginner nurse to competent professional nurse.
- Our program will increase retention rates if new graduate RNs at the Cincinnati VA Medical Center.
Post Baccalaureate Nurse Residency Experiences
PB-RNR residents will have the opportunity to gain experience in several specialty areas of nursing under the supervision of an experienced clinical faculty. Areas of nursing care offered at Cincinnati VA Medical Center include but are not limited to:
- Acute Care/ICU patient care including noninvasive ventilatory support, invasive ventilatory support, postsurgical inpatient care, care of critically ill patients, vasopressors, multidisciplinary patient management (Critical Care, multiple Surgery subspecialties, Respiratory Therapy, Nutrition, Internal Medicine,)
- TBI Clinic/ Polytrauma care: This is a multidisciplinary clinic providing services for Veterans with Traumatic Brain Injury; participating services include Neurology, Physiatry, Rehabilitation therapies, Respiratory Therapy, and Nutrition.
- Primary Care: This multidisciplinary clinic provides use complementary medicine along with standard medical treatments to provide holistic care to Veterans. Patient aligned care teams works collaboratively with the patient to provide for all the patient's healthcare needs—or appropriately coordinates care with other qualified professionals to ensure Veteran’s need are met.
- Mental Health including addiction and substance abuse, military sexual trauma, Post-traumatic stress disorder and suicide prevention
- Cath Lab and interventional radiology providing emergent and scheduled cardiac and vascular interventions including cardiac caths, pacemaker placement, ablations and ketamine infusion clinic
- Community Living Center: is a place where Veterans can receive nursing home level of care, which includes help with activities of daily living (e.g., bathing and getting dressed) and skilled nursing and medical care. The mission of a Community Living Center is to restore each Veteran to his or her highest level of well-being. It is also to prevent declines in health and to provide comfort at the end of life.
Clinical Fellowship Experience Outcomes / Deliverables
- Completion of Personal Development Plan, Professional Development Portfolio with practice proficiency
- Formal supervisory completion of Graduated Levels of Responsibility, Skills Assessment, Observational Experiences Checklist
- Evidenced Based Practice initiative / Presentation
- Research or Quality Improvement Project participation and Synopsis/Reflection
- Veteran centric Curriculum
- Journal Club presentations (interdisciplinary)
- Professional Experience self-reflections
- Completion of telemetry course
- Completion of ACLS
- Completion of all program requirements within a 12-month time frame
- $58,105 stipend
- Eligibility to enroll in Federal Health Benefits Plan
- Paid leave days: 13 vacation, 13 sick, 12 Federal holidays
- Personal workspace / laptop
- Medical Library access
- VA health professions trainees are considered a priority applicant pool in consideration for permanent employment positions, locally and nationally
- Hiring flexibility for VA health professions trainees can allow appointment to VA positions
- 100% protected time
Note: Nurse residents are considered trainees and there is no commitment for continued employment after the completion of the year-long program. After a successful residency, we do hope that you will find your calling to care for Veterans at the Cincinnati VA.
•United States Citizen
• Graduated from a CCNE or NLNAC accredited program with a BSN between and 12/2022 and 6/2023 serving in your FIRST nursing role.
• Minimum cumulative grade point (average of 3.00 on a 4-point scale)
• Current, unrestricted RN license (obtained by 7/31/2023)
• Must pass pre-employment medical exam and drug testing
• Be proficient in spoken and written English
• Must be able to complete 366 days of training starting August 16, 2023
Application / Deadlines
If you meet the above requirements, please submit the following:
• Cover letter, including why you are interested in this Residency program
• School Transcript (does not need to be official for application process)
• Three letters of reference, including one reference from a senior year nursing faculty member
• DD 214 (if Veteran)
Application Deadline: March 15, 2023
Interviews: April 20-24, 2023
Selection Notification: May 4, 2023
Mail application packet to:
Cincinnati VA Medical Center
3200 Vine St
Cincinnati Oh, 45220
Attention Angela Combs
Professional Staff Development
3200 Vine St room B311
Cincinnati Oh, 45220
OR email to email@example.com
OR fax to 513.487.6625