Submit a Compromise Offer - Debt Management Center
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Attention A T users. To access the combo box on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Press the alt key and then the down arrow. 2. Use the up and down arrows to navigate this combo box. 3. Press enter on the item you wish to view. This will take you to the page listed.
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

Debt Management Center


Submit a Compromise Offer

Written agreement, pen, and money

If you are unable to pay the debt in full or clear the debt in a reasonable timeframe through monthly payments, we can consider a compromise offer.  A compromise means we can accept a lesser amount of money as full settlement of your debt.

To apply for a compromise offer:

  • Write a letter to explain why you are requesting a compromise offer
  • Specify the amount of money you wish to pay
  • Complete and include a Financial Status Report along with the letter and send all documents by mail or fax to:

    U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
    Debt Management Center
    P.O. Box 11930
    St Paul, MN 55111
    1-612-970-5688 (fax)

Please do not send a payment with your compromise offer.

Compromise Referrals

Your offer will be referred to the Committee on Waivers and Compromises for consideration.  We will contact you with the decision of the Committee on Waivers and Compromises.  If your offer is accepted, we will advise on the terms of our acceptance and how to make payment.

Compromise offers should be paid in a lump sum within 30 days of their acceptance.