Payment Options - Debt Management Center
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Attention A T users. To access the combo box on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Press the alt key and then the down arrow. 2. Use the up and down arrows to navigate this combo box. 3. Press enter on the item you wish to view. This will take you to the page listed.
Veterans Crisis Line Badge

Debt Management Center


Payment Options

Financial services

Important Information for Payment

If You’re Paying by Plastic Card or ACH Debit

Please pay each debt separately at our online payment site.  Those of you receiving monthly compensation, pension or educational benefits should call Debt Management Center before making an online payment.  We want to be sure you are not overpaying your debt if we have offset benefits.  Our telephone number is 1-800-827-0648 or for international callers 1-612-713-6415.

If You’re Paying the Entire Balance of a Debt

Call Debt Management Center, first, to confirm the balance you owe.  Our telephone number is 1-800-827-0648 or for international callers 1-612-713-6415.

Following the above advice will help us apply your payments promptly and help you avoid overpaying the amount owed.

Pay by Phone or Online

For your convenience and fast results, you can pay by phone (1-800-827-0648), international callers (1-612-713-6415) or online from your bank account (ACH Direct Debit) or with a plastic card (any credit or debit card with Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover logos).  Our toll-free telephone business hours are 6:30a.m. to 6:00p.m. (Central).

Pay by Mail

If you’re paying by mail: Please send us a separate check for each debt and include a payment remittance stub for each payment. Payment remittance stubs are printed at the bottom of our collection letters. You should have received a separate letter for each category of debt. Make sure to write your file number and deduction code on each check. The deduction code tells us what category of debt you’re paying (advance payment, housing allowance, tuition and fees, etc.). File numbers and deduction codes are printed on the left side of the payment remittance stubs and in the upper right of the letters. If you wish to send us one check for multiple debts, please enclose separate payment remittance stubs for each debt. If you do not have the collection letters, send us a note listing the debts you’re paying and the amounts you want applied to each debt.

Make your check or money order payable to the “U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs” and print your full name and VA file number or Social Security Number on the payment to ensure proper credit.

Mail your payment to the following address:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Debt Management Center
P.O. Box 11930
St. Paul, MN 55111

Pay By Monthly Payments

If you are unable to pay your debt in full, we will work with you to establish an acceptable monthly payment plan.  To take advantage of this option, please mail a letter indicating the amount you can pay on a monthly basis along with a completed Financial Status Report.

Mail your letter and a completed Financial Status Report to the address listed above.  To expedite the processing, you may fax your letter and completed Financial Status Report to 1-612-970-5688.

Please be sure to complete Block 24B on the Financial Status Report to indicate the amount you propose to pay monthly.  You may also send a payment with the correspondence.  We will contact you and let you know if the proposed monthly payment plan is acceptable.

Pay By Monthly Offsets

If you receive a monthly benefit check from the VA and we advised you that we plan to offset the entire check amount to apply to your debt, you can request a smaller offset amount.

If the offset amount you propose can liquidate the debt within a one-year timeframe or less, you do not need to complete a Financial Status Report.

If the timeframe exceeds one year, you need to follow the same procedures as specified in the Pay By Monthly Payments section listed above.

If you have any questions, please contact us via phone 1-800-827-0648, for international callers 1-612-713-6415  or e-mail     


Your Privacy is Important to Us.  Please Read the Following.

Privacy Act Information:  VA collects debts under authority of 38 C.F.R. 1.900 et seq.  The information you furnish on checks, including the beneficiary’s Social Security or VA claim numbers, is used to associate a payment with an account receivable record so that we may properly credit the account.  Disclosure is voluntary.  However, without disclosure, a payment transaction cannot be processed.  The information on your check is confidential and protected from unauthorized disclosure by 38 U.S.C. 5701.  The information may be disclosed outside the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) only when authorized by the Privacy Act of 1974, as amended.  The routine uses for which VA may disclose the information can be found in VA systems of records, including 58VA21/22, Compensation, Pension, Education and Rehabilitation Records-VA, and 88VA244, Accounts Receivable Records-VA.  VA systems of records and alterations to the systems are published in the Federal Register.  Any information provided by you, including the beneficiary’s Social Security or VA claim numbers, may be used in computer matching programs conducted in connection with any proceeding for the collection of an amount owed by virtue of the beneficiary’s participation in any benefit program administered by VA.

If you have comments regarding any aspect of this collection of information, contact:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Debt Management Center
P.O. Box 11930
St. Paul, MN 55111
Toll Free:  1-800-827-0648
International:  1-612-713-6415
FAX:  1-612-970-5688