Rome - Donald J. Mitchell VA Outpatient Clinic
Veterans experiencing an emotional crisis should contact the Veterans Crisis Line or call 1-800-273-8255 press 1.
Veterans in need of medical advice after normal clinic hours can call TelCare at 1-888-838-7890.
Rome Community Based Outpatient Clinic serves approximately 6800 Veterans in serving Oneida , Herkimer Madison and Lewis Counties in Central New York.
• Primary care: We are staffed by three Board Certified Internists, two Board Certified Family Practitioners and one Registered Physician's Assistant. We also have two highly experienced accredited Nurse Practitioners. We have a dedicated Women's Health Program. Rome CBOC operates on the patient aligned care team concept where each Veteran has a dedicated primary provider, nursing and administrative staff assigned to their care team.
• The staff at Rome CBOC performs a wide range of outpatient minor surgery and cryotherapy treatment.
• We also have a dedicated diabetes pharmacologist who sees patients on an individual basis to optimize their diabetes care.
• Mental health: Rome CBOC is home to a full complement of psychiatric and counseling services. Our team consists of psychiatrists and psychologists, nurses and social workers who perform both individual and group counseling. One of our psychologists specializes in the individual treatment of PTSD. We have a dedicated drug and alcohol rehabilitation counselor. Walk-ins are accepted for patients facing mental health emergencies. Smoking cessation: We have a dedicated Quit Smart program that combines counseling plus pharmacologic treatment assist Veterans in smoking cessation.
• Specialty Services: Services beyond primary care are available through our parent facility, the Syracuse VA Medical Center, approximately 60 miles to our west. Free transportation can be arranged for appointments at Syracuse VAMC
• Eye exams and treatment are conducted by appointment.
• Podiatry: We have podiatrists who do outpatient podiatry care by appointment.
• Radiology: We perform plain film x-ray on a daily basis and twice a week have full time vascular and routine ultrasound (non-obstetric).
• Physical therapy: We have two highly qualified full-time physical therapists and a fully equipped physical therapy clinic.
• Occupational therapy and Prosthetics: Several days a week we have visiting occupational therapists and prosthetists who perform various functions ranging from scooter evaluations to the creation of custom manufactured orthotics.
• Telehealth: We now have the ability to offer some outpatient specialty care not available locally via computer link up with specialties such as cardiology ,dermatology rheumatology and others. This eliminates the need for travel for many follow-up appointments that otherwise would have required travel to Syracuse.
• Dental Hygiene: SUNY Canton operates a dental hygiene education program in our facility. They offer dental hygiene and cleaning services to Veterans free of charge by appointment. Availability is on a first-come first served basis and is limited. Their telephone number is: 315-336-3484.
• Vocational Rehabilitation: Vocational rehabilitation services are available here through several full-time counselors by referral from a primary care provider.
• Laboratory: We are laboratory draw station and serve over 100 patients a day.
• We occupy the former Griffiss Air Force Base Hospital in its entirety and parking is easily available and free. We are readily handicapped accessible.
Parent Facility: Syracuse VAMC
Phone: (315) 425-4400 or (800) 792-4334
DAV Shuttle Service
334-7100, extension 57353
Leaves Rome at 8:30 a.m.
Leaves Syracuse at 3:00 p.m.