Veterans asbestos exposure
If you have a health condition caused by contact with asbestos during your service, you may be eligible for VA disability compensation. Compensation provides tax-free monthly payments. Keep reading to find out if you may be eligible.
Am I eligible for VA disability compensation?
You may be eligible for disability compensation based on asbestos exposure if you meet both of these requirements.
Both of these must be true:
- You have a health condition that’s caused by exposure to asbestos, and
- You had contact with asbestos while serving in the military
Note: If you get a disability rating, you may also be eligible for VA health care and other benefits.
How do I file a claim for compensation?
You can file a claim online now. You can also file by mail, in person, or with the help of a trained professional.
What evidence will I need to submit with my claim?
You’ll need to submit these documents:
- Medical records that state your health condition, and
- Service records that list your job or specialty, and
- A doctor’s statement that there’s a connection between your contact with asbestos during military service and the health condition
How do I know if I have a health condition caused by my contact with asbestos?
If you worked in certain jobs or with certain products, ask your doctor about getting tested for illnesses that affect your lungs.
Get tested if you’ve worked in these areas:
- Demolition (knocking down old buildings)
Get tested if you’ve made or worked with products like these:
- Cement sheet
- Clutch facings and brake linings (called friction products)
Get more information
Do you think you may have had contact with asbestos?