Skip to Content

Mustard gas or lewisite exposure

If you have a health condition caused by exposure to mustard gas or lewisite, you may be eligible for VA disability compensation. Compensation provides tax-free monthly payments. Keep reading to find out if you may be eligible.

Am I eligible for VA disability compensation?

You may be eligible for disability compensation if you have a disability believed to be caused by contact with mustard gas or lewisite and your military record shows you had contact with mustard gas or lewisite.

Note: If you get a disability rating, you may also be eligible for VA health care and other benefits.

Locations where you may have been exposed to mustard gas or lewisite

If you were in the Army and served in these places

  • Bari, Italy
  • Bushnell, FL
  • Camp Lejeune, NC
  • Camp Sibert, AL
  • Dugway Proving Ground, UT
  • Edgewood Arsenal, MD
  • Naval Research Lab, Washington, DC
  • Ondal, India
  • Rocky Mountain Arsenal, CO
  • San Jose Island, Panama Canal Zone

If you were in the Navy and served in these places

  • Bari, Italy
  • Camp Lejeune, NC
  • Charleston, SC
  • Great Lakes Naval Training Center, IL
  • Hart’s Island, NY
  • Naval Training Center, Bainbridge, MD
  • Naval Research Laboratory, VA
  • Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC
  • USS Eagle Boat 58

If either of these descriptions is true for you

  • You were a service member who took part in testing in Finschhafen, New Guinea, or Porton Down, England, or
  • You served as a merchant seaman in Bari, Italy

How do I file a claim for compensation?

You can file a claim online now. You can also file by mail, in person, or with the help of a trained professional. 

File for disability compensation online

Learn about other ways to file a disability compensation claim

Note: You have to claim an actual disease or disability. It’s not enough to state that you were exposed to mustard gas or lewisite during service. You’ll need to apply based on the illnesses believed to be caused by your contact with one of these chemicals. When you send in your claim, be sure to share any military records that show you had contact with blistering agents.

What if I need help filing my disability claim?

If you have questions about benefits related to mustard gas exposure, you can email us at

You can also get help from an accredited attorney, claims agent, or Veterans Service Organization (VSO) representative.

Get help filing a claim

Can I get benefits if I volunteered for research involving chemical and biological testing?

As many as 60,000 Veterans volunteered for medical research for the U.S. Biological and Chemical Programs. If you were involved in this research, you can get medical care through the U.S. Army if you meet both of these requirements.

Both of these must be true:

  • You volunteered for research involving chemical and biological testing between 1942 and 1975, and
  • You have an injury or disease directly caused by your participation in this testing

If you have questions or need help getting medical care call 800-984-8523.