Skip to Content
Learn what the PACT Act means for your VA benefits

VA Title 38 U.S.C. 1151 claims

If you suffered an added disability—or your existing injury or disease got worse—while you were getting VA medical care or taking part in a VA program designed to help you find, get, or keep a job, you may be able to get compensation.

Am I eligible for compensation from VA?

You may be eligible for compensation from VA if you suffered an added disability or your existing disability got worse as the direct result of any of these reasons—and the added disability wasn’t a reasonably expected result or complication of treatment. 

At least one of these must have led directly to an added disability or to your injury or disease getting worse:

  • VA carelessness or negligence, or
  • VA medical or surgical treatment, or
  • A VA health exam, or
  • A VA vocational rehabilitation course  (under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 31), or
  • VA compensated work therapy (CWT)(under 38 U.S.C. 1718)

Who’s covered?


What kind of benefits can I get?

Compensation (payments)

How do I get these benefits?

You’ll need to file a claim for disability compensation. When you file, you’ll have to show that the added disability happened because of VA medical care or a VA program designed to help you find, get, or keep a job.
Find out how to file a claim for disability compensation

We’ll award any compensation payments in the same way we would if your disability was related to your military service (a service-connected disability).