Skip to Content

Veterans may be impacted by Non-VA construction near the CLAYTON CLINIC. Construction may be blocking the entrance off of Hwy US 70 business.  Clinic may be accessed from the rear entrance off Atkinson St and S. Moore Street (S. Moore St can be accessed from US70 business at the traffic light).

Homeless Veteran Program

If you are a Veteran who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless due to financial hardship, unemployment, addiction, depression, or transition from jail, the Durham VA Health Care System can help you. Contact a social worker or homeless services care coordinator to get help.

How Social Workers Help Veterans

How Do I Know I Need A Social Worker?

You will find social workers in all program areas in VA medical centers who are ready to help you with most any need. If you have questions or problems, the social worker will be able to help you or can refer you to the right person for help. Here are just some of the ways that VA social workers can help:

  • Assisting with transitioning and adjusting to civilian life
  • If you are having marriage or family problems
  • If someone close to you has passed away and you want to talk about it
  • If you have problems with drinking or drug use
  • If you feel that someone is taking advantage of you or if you feel mistreated in a relationship
  • If you are feeling angry, sad, depressed or anxious
  • If you are feeling stressed because of your health or because your medical condition interferes with your daily activities
  • Help Veterans and their families understand and adjust an illness or disability
  • Financial or housing assistance
  • Getting help from the VA or from community agencies, such as Meals on Wheels, so you can continue to live in your own home
  • Applying for benefits from the VA, Social Security and other government and community programs
  • Making sure your doctor and other VA staff on your treatment team know your decisions about end-of-life issues, generally called advance directives and living wills. Things like whether you want to be on life support equipment, whether you are an organ donor, and which family member or other person you have chosen to make decisions on your behalf when you are unable to make those decisions yourself
  • Arranging for respite care for your caregiver so she or he can have a break or go on vacation without worrying about who will be caring for you
  • If you would like help with moving to an assisted living facility, a board and care home or a nursing home.
  • If you are a parent who feels overwhelmed with child care
  • If your parent or spouse is in failing health
  • If you really aren’t sure what you need, but things just don’t feel right

How Can Social Workers Help Veterans with Problems and Concerns?


The first step is generally for the social worker to meet with you, and often with your family. The social worker will ask you questions about your health, your living situation, your family and other support systems, your military experience and the things you think you need help with.  The social worker will then write an assessment that will help you and your VA health care team make treatment plans.

Crisis Intervention

In a crisis situation, social workers can provide counseling services to help you get through the crisis. The social worker will then help you with more long-term needs.

The social worker can help you apply for services and programs in your community and through the VA to meet emergent needs.

High-Risk Screening

Social workers work particularly closely with those veterans who are at high risk, such as those who are homeless, those who have been admitted to the hospital several times, and those who cannot care for themselves any longer.

Discharge Planning

When you are admitted to a VA hospital, the social worker will help you make plans for your discharge back home or to the community. If you need services in your home or if you can no longer live at home by yourself, the social worker can help you make arrangements for the help you need.

Case Management

Social workers often provide long-term case management services to veterans who are at high risk of being admitted to a hospital, those who have very complex medical problems, and those who need additional help and support. They are available when needed to provide and coordinate a variety of services you may need, including counseling or support services or just helping you figure out what you need and how to get it.


Sometimes it can be hard for a veteran to speak up for himself or herself.  And sometimes veterans are confused by such a big, bureaucratic agency like the VA. Social workers can advocate for you and go to bat for you when you have a hard time doing it by yourself.


Social workers can help educate you and your family about your health care condition, what services and programs are available to you, how you can live a more healthy life, how you can deal with stress and loss, and how you can find support groups and other self-help programs in your community. Social workers also educate other staff in the medical center and in the community about VA programs and services and about how problems veterans may be having in their personal lives can impact their health.


Clinical social workers provide individual therapy, group therapy, and family therapy to address emotional, behavioral and mental health needs.

All Social Workers at the Durham VAMC have a Master's Degree in Social Work (MSW). Most of the social workers are licensed as a Clinical Social Worker (LCSW). Social workers are available during normal business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm except on holidays. Referrals to Social Work Service may be made by physician, nurse, patient representative, self-referral, family member significant other, or community agency.

VA social workers can help you with all of these types of services, plus many, many more.  If you have a problem or a question, you can ask a social worker. We’re here to help you!

VA Social Workers Program Involvement

  • Primary Care and Home-Based Primary Care (HBPC)
  • Geriatrics and Extended Care Programs
    • Medical Foster Home
    • Caring for Older Adults and their Caregivers at Home (COACH)
    • Community Living Center
    • Geriatric Clinic
    • Contract Nursing Home
    • Home Maker Home Health Aide Program
  • Inpatient Medical/Surgical
  • Mental and Behavioral Health Services
    • General Mental Health Clinics
    • Psychiatric Acute Recovery Center (PARC)
    • Psychiatric Emergency Clinic
    • General and Intensive Outpatient Substance Use Disorder Clinics
    • PTSD Clinic
    • Mental Health Intensive Case Management Program (MHICM)
  • Homeless Programs (view the list of VA Programs for Homeless Veterans)
  • Transitions Care Management (OEF/OIF/OND) Program
  • Spinal Cord Injury
  • Women Veterans Program
  • Intimate Partner Violence Assistance Program
  • Military Sexual Trauma
  • Employee Assistance Program

 Master Social Work (MSW) Trainee Recruitment


Social Work Service - Primary Point of Contact

Contact: Lindsey Jordan Arledge
Title: Chief, SWS

Geriatric Social Work Programs

Contact: Judith Davagnino
Title: Supervisor, Geriatric Programs

Greenville Health Care Center/Morehead City CBOC

Contact: Yolanda Soney
Title: Social Work Supervisor
Phone: 1-

Home and Community Services

Contact: Ivey Chavis
Title: Supervisor, Home and Community Services

Homeless Veteran

Contact: Ellecia Thompson
Title: Supervisor, Homeless Programs

Medical Social Work Services

Contact: Marsha Alishahi
Title: Supervisor, Medicine Section

Mental Health Services

Contact: Larry Rhodes
Title: Supervisor, Mental Health Section

Transitions Care Management Program (OEF/OIF/OND)

Contact: Susan Watkins
Title: Program Manager 

 The Durham VA Medical Center also has Social Workers in:

Care we provide at the Durham VA 

We help Veterans who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless due to financial hardship, unemployment, addiction, depression, or transition from jail. Contact a VA Durham homeless services care coordinator to get help with: 

  • Immediate food and shelter, including both transitional and permanent housing
  • Job training, life skills development, and education
  • Support with justice system navigation and community re-entry from jail
  • Financial support to prevent homelessness
  • Treatment for addiction and depression
  • Health and dental care