Whole Health is designed to help Veterans achieve and maintain their best health and well-being. Our department will empower you to begin developing your personalized health plan shaped around what matters to you most, equip you with the tools and support you need to proactively care for your health in our wellbeing programs, and treat you with complementary and integrative health modalities with licensed clinicians trained in developing healing relationships with their patients. The road to better health lies within you.
About Whole Health
It all starts with the question “What matters most to you in your life?” Answering this is the first step in a new model called Whole Health. There are four key parts to the Whole Health Model:
- ME: The equation begins with you, the “Me” at the center. Your story is unique and your whole health begins with YOU. Starting here will help empower you to take charge of your health.
- Self Care: Each of us has the power to impact our well-being, but we may not have the skills or support to make those changes. It starts with looking at all the dimensions of your whole health. Doing so can help one experience a deeper sense of meaning, peace, joy, or comfort.
- Professional Care: Your health team is here to help with the prevention and treatment of disease and illness.
- Community: Just as there is a “Me” at the center of the circle, there is a “We” that enfolds it. Your Community is however you define it and often includes where you live, work, and worship, as well as all the people and groups you connect with.
Whole health puts you at the center of care, rather than your illnesses or conditions. We work with you to develop a personalized health plan based on your values, needs, and goals.
The Whole Health System at the Durham VA
Personal Health Planning: A comprehensive approach to health that merges the needs, preferences, and goals for whole health defined by the veteran with the health risk assessment, clinical evaluation, and therapeutic plan defined by the provider. The end results are shared goals that address the clinical needs in the context of what matters to the Veteran. The process for personal health planning includes the following:
The Pathway is EMPOWERING: We partner with you, as well as your family and community, to explore your mission, purpose, and aspirations that will guide the development of your personal health plan.
Well-Being Programs are EQUIPPING: We work with you to build the skills and support you need and to identify proactive, integrative health approaches such as stress reduction, physical activity, weight management, tobacco cessation, yoga, tai chi, mindfulness, nutrition, and health coaching that will help you take charge of your health and well-being, prevent diseases, and live your life to the fullest.
Whole Health Clinical Care is TREATING: You will work with your health team to continue to refine your personal health plan with traditional and complementary and integrative health approaches to support your health and to enhance your self-management strategies to strengthen your health.
Personal Development Classes:
- 2 Hour Whole Health Introduction Course: Educate about the benefits of a Whole Health approach to well-being.
- Taking Charge of My Life and Health: Whole Health facilitated groups, currently conducted weekly, by appointment, for 9 weeks, where participants engage in Personal Health Planning, based on what matters to them, and are provided support to address their health and well-being.
Our whole health approach empowers and equips you to take charge of your health, well-being, and quality of life. Whole health goes beyond your illnesses, injuries, or disabilities, and focuses instead on your values, goals, and overall health. It includes self-care and complementary therapies along with conventional medical care. Our whole health program includes:
- Personal Health Planning in Primary Care Clinic
- Personal Health Planning in Shared Medical Appointments
- Acupuncture / Battlefield Acupuncture
- Chiropractic Care
- Mindfulness Programs / Meditation / Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
- Yoga Classes
- Whole Health Coaching
- Music Therapy
- Guided Imagery
- MOVE Program
- Staff Retreats
- Tai Chi Classes
Durham Integrative Pain Clinic Educational Class Series
Check out the VA Office of Patient Centered Care and Cultural Transformation website for more information about Whole Health Care and to access the My Story Personal Health Inventory: Whole Health Home (va.gov)
Speak with the members of your Durham VA care team to learn more about the current offerings locally.
- Mon. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Tue. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Wed. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Thu. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Fri. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Sat. Closed
- Sun. Closed
Walk-ins accepted? No