VA chaplains serve people of all faiths and denominations as well patients and families looking for nonsectarian support. They’re here to listen and offer spiritual and emotional help as you struggle with tough questions and ethical decisions.
The VA Eastern Oklahoma health care Chaplain Service provides spiritual and emotional support with respect for individual convictions and beliefs. Chaplains are a vital member of the health care team and have specialized training and certification. They provide care that honors the needs of the body, mind and spirit.
What is Pastoral Care?
- Pastoral Care addresses the non medical needs of patients by offering emotional support, encouragement, comfort, consolation and prayer.
- Understands healing is spiritual, emotional and social, as well as physical.
- Health care framed in a theological background stressing ministry of presences
- Not necessarily a way to solve problems but helps patients gain insight and understanding about what is happening to them within the frame work of their relationship to God and their spirituality.
- Uses spiritual resources, prayer, active listening, encouragement, scripture and sacraments to care for the whole person.
- A chaplain is in the hospital 7 days a week, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT. A chaplain is also on call after normal hours.
- Provide spiritual care for all denominations and faith groups.
- Devotional material, the Bible and other scripture is available upon request.
- Will contact the Veteran's personal clergy or priest upon request.
Contact a chaplain
A chaplain is in the hospital 7 days a week, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT and on call after business hours. If you have questions or concerns, please call our chaplains at 888-397-8387, ext. 73861.
People of all faiths and traditions are invited to attend general protestant worship services in our chapel on the first floor at the south end of the hospital.
- Services are held on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. CT.
- Family and friends are welcome to attend.
- Patients attending service dress in hospital pajamas.
- You can watch live services on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. CT, broadcast on Channel 4 to patients' rooms.
The Chaplain’s Channel is located on Channel 4 on the medical center’s closed-circuit television system. The channel operates Monday through Friday and Sunday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CT. You can watch:
- Daily devotionals led by a chaplain Monday through Friday at 8:00 a.m. CT.
- Live video of the Sunday at 9:30 a.m. CT service
- Family friendly movies
- Relaxing music videos
Nondenominational and nonsectarian chapel
Jack C. Montgomery VA Medical Center
First floor, south end of hospital
Map of Jack C. Montgomery VA Medical Center campus
Phone: 888-397-8387, ext. 73861