Veterans technology education courses
If you want to gain computer experience to start or advance your career in the high-technology industry, find out if you’re eligible for our Veteran Employment Through Technology Education Courses (VET TEC) program that matches you with a leading training provider to help you develop high-tech skills.
We’re expanding the VET TEC program
As part of the Isakson and Roe Act of 2020, we’re expanding the VET TEC program to help more people get high-tech training from experts.
Here’s what’s changing:
- We’re expanding access to include service members who are close to their separation date. If you're a service member, you can apply if you're within 180 days of separating from the military.
- We’re making it easier for you to find expert instructors. You can now choose eligible training providers who have been in operation for 2 years or less. Instructors must be experts in their field to be approved for the program.
- We’re increasing funding. We'll be able to offer the program to more Veterans and service members because we're increasing funding from $15 million each year to $45 million.
We’ll update you here to let you know when you can apply.
If you have any questions, you can contact us at 888-442-4551. We’re here Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET.
Am I eligible for this program?
You may be eligible for VET TEC if you meet all of these requirements.
All of these must be true:
- You aren’t on active duty or are within 180 days of separating from active duty, and
- You qualify for VA education assistance under the GI Bill, and
- You have at least one day of unexpired GI Bill entitlement, and
- You’re accepted into a program by a VA-approved training provider
Note: Your VET TEC training won’t count against your GI Bill entitlement, and you need only one day of unexpired GI Bill benefits to participate.
What types of training does VET TEC cover?
You can get training in one of these high-demand training areas:
- Computer software
- Computer programming
- Data processing
- Information science
- Media applications
What benefits can I get through this program?
With VET TEC, you can get:
- Tuition for a full-time high-tech training program
- Money for housing during your training
Note: If you’re on active duty, you’re not eligible to receive a housing allowance.
If you attend your training program in person, your housing stipend will be equal to the monthly military Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. This is based on the zip code where you attend your training.
If you participate in an online program, your stipend will be half of the BAH national average for an E-5 with dependents.
Note: If you don’t attend a training for a full month, we’ll prorate your housing payment for the days you train.
How do I get my monthly housing allowance?
How do I apply?
You can apply for the VET TEC program online.
Apply for the VET TEC program
If we determine that you’re eligible for VET TEC, you’ll then apply to the VA-approved training provider of your choice. Your training provider may review your qualifications to assess whether they think you’ll be able to successfully complete their training program and find meaningful, relevant employment.
VET TEC is a 5-year pilot program. You can participate as long as the funding is available.
Note: If you haven’t already applied for VA education benefits, you’ll also need to fill out an Application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990) or apply online.
Apply for VA education benefits
How can I show that I’ve completed the program?
After you complete your training, you’ll receive a certification of your new skills.
VET TEC training providers
A provider is considered “preferred” if the training facility agrees to refund tuition and fees if a student doesn’t find meaningful employment within 180 days of completing the program.
For training providers: If you’re a training provider interested in participating in the VET TEC program, you can learn more and apply at the training provider website.