At the Erie VA Medical Center, we’re dedicated to improving the lives of Veterans by providing world class care.
About the Erie VA Medical Center
As a high reliability organization, the Erie VA Medical Center (VAMC) provides Veterans with world-class health care and trains America’s future health care providers.
Health care and services
We provide you with health care services at 6 locations: the Erie VA Medical Center (hospital) and 5 community-based outpatient clinics. We also have a community living center (nursing home). To learn more about the services each Erie VAMC health care location offers, visit the Erie health care page.
Erie health care is one of the leading VA health care systems in Pennsylvania. We’re a top-ranked, innovative health care center within the Veterans Integrated Service Network 4 (VISN 4). VISN 4 includes medical centers in Altoona, Butler, Coatesville, Erie, Lebanon, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Wilkes-Barre in Pennsylvania; Wilmington in Delaware; and 44 outpatient clinics in Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and Ohio. Learn more about VISN 4.
Teaching and learning
The Erie VAMC offers a variety of internships every year. Our Health Service Psychology Internship Program prepares you for professional practice in a medical center or other health care settings that serve adults. Interns who complete the program will qualify for jobs or postdoctoral fellowships within VA, at other medical centers, or in the military. The training also prepares you for teaching positions or to work as therapists in private practice.
- In 2022, the Erie VAMC served 22,234 Veterans in our 9-county service area, including 19,585 men and 2,649 women.
- We had 912 employees in 2022, including 185 nurses and 48 physicians.
- Approximately 26% of Erie VAMC employees are Veterans.
- The facility’s annual operating budget is $236 million.
- In 2022, we had 276,649 outpatient visits and out doctors performed 1,597 surgeries.
- Our virtual Connected Care program uses technology to give Veterans personalized, high-quality health services close to home, or in their homes. In 2022, we completed 32,715 VA Telehealth visits, had 26,191 VA Video Connect encounters, and completed 66,678 prescription refills through My HealtheVet.
- In continued support of the VISN 4 Western Market Initiative, the Erie VAMC hired 29 staff members to support the expansion of 7 services – strengthening the expansion of access to specialty care services to Veterans in the market to include orthopedics, podiatry, cardiology, oncology, neurology, ophthalmology, V-consult.
Erie health care received accreditation from:
- The Joint Commission
- Long Term Care Institute
- Office of Inspector General Comprehensive Healthcare Inspection Program
- Triennial Environmental Compliance Audit
Annual reports and newsletters
VA Healthcare-VISN 4
Get the latest news from VISN 4 in our Vision for Excellence newsletter and learn how we are improving access to care and earning Veterans' trust.
Read the latest VISN 4 annual report for news about the many accomplishments across our network and what we have been doing to provide excellent care for Veterans.