Volunteer or Donate
The Fargo VA Health Care System is always seeking the generosity of donors and Volunteers. The purpose of the Fargo VA Health Care System's Center for Development & Civic Engagement is to support our nation’s heroes by partnering with local service organizations, area businesses, and individuals from our community. To learn more about Volunteering, donating to Veterans, or completing the online application, please contact the Fargo VA Health Care System's Center for Development & Civic Engagement by calling 701-239-3700 extension 3395 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a Volunteer
Volunteer opportunities are available for adults over the age of 18 and students who are at least 14 years old (summer youth program). Volunteers fill a number of vital roles to improve the overall health care experience for our nation’s Veterans.
- Visit our VolunteerMatch.org page to view open volunteer opportunities within the Fargo VA Health Care System.
- Contact one of the CDCE Specialists by calling 701-239-3700 ext. 3395. Specialists can answer any potential volunteer questions and share new positions that may be approved in the future.
In order to qualify as a VA HCS volunteer, all applicants must complete a background check, tuberculosis test, and be able to provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus. These extra precautions help to ensure the safety or our Veterans, staff, and fellow volunteers.
During the onboarding process, volunteers will receive position-specific orientation and training to equip them with the skills they’ll need to be successful in their role. Each volunteer is asked to agree to a minimum 50-hour lifetime volunteering commitment before onboarding is complete.
Online Volunteer Orientation
Step One: Contact the Fargo VA Health Care System Center for Development and Civic Engagement at 701-239-3700 extension 3395 or email email@example.com to inquire about open positions. Schedule an appointment to complete the onboarding process. Please do not to move on to the next step until you have spoken to a Center for Development and Civic Engagement representative at the Fargo VA.
Step Two: Complete the Volunteer Application, Form 10-7055. Print and sign completed form:
Step Three: Review the Volunteer Handbook. You will use this handbook to complete step Four:
Step Four: Complete the Volunteer Handbook Knowledge Quiz. Print and sign the completed quiz:
Step Five: Print and sign the Statement of Commitment and Understanding:
Step Six: Bring all completed documents to your appointment with Center for Development and Civic Engagement staff. During your meeting, you will begin the process to obtain a Volunteer ID Badge (will include a background check), receive a blood draw to screen for exposure to Tuberculosis, receive a hospital tour, and meet with or schedule a time to meet with your assigned supervisor.
Items to bring to your appointment:
- Driver’s license
- One additional form of ID from the following list: Passport, Social Security Card, Birth Certificate, Hunting or Fishing License, Military ID, Medicare Card.
- Volunteer Application, Form 10-7055
- Knowledge Quiz
- Statement of Commitment and Understanding
- Proof of influenza vaccination (if obtained outside of the VA). Volunteers are eligible to receive a free flu vaccine from the Fargo VA each year.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Volunteers are eligible to receive free COVID-19 vaccinations (Moderna).
- Vehicle information to include license plate number, make, model, year, color, and number of doors in order to obtain a Volunteer Parking Lot pass.
Volunteer Transportation Drivers must complete New Driver Orientation in person. Contact your County Veterans Service Officer to initiate this process.
Make a Donation
Donations can be done online, by mail, or in person. 100% of donations are used to provide goods and services above and beyond the exceptional care that Veterans already receive through VA. Donors may choose to donate to the General Purpose fund or one of our select programs. When donating items in person, please contact us at 701-239-3700 ext. 3395 to schedule a drop-off time.
The Fargo VA HCS can now accept donations online via credit card or directly from your checking or savings account. Online donations are safe and secure, and you will be provided with immediate confirmation of your donation along with a receipt. To donate online, visit our E-Donate page.
Donate by Mail
To ensure that donations are properly acknowledged, we ask that all gifts to Fargo VA HCS be coordinated through the Center for Development and Civic Engagement. If you would like to donate, please make your check out to "Fargo VA HCS" and include a note in the memo portion of the check identifying which fund you wish to support. Your donation can be mailed to:
Fargo VA HCS
2101 Elm Street N
Fargo, ND 58102
Fund Donation Options
Listed below are several of our most utilized funds. For a complete listing of all funds, please click here:
8804-Veteran Emergency Needs Fund: used to support the emergency needs of homeless and indigent Veterans relating to transportation, personal comfort items, household goods, and housing applications.
8001-General Purpose Fund: used to support the various needs of our Veteran patients.
8806- Recreation: supports a variety of recreation activities, supplies and events, entertainers and community outings.
The following items are based on recurring Veteran request and need but may not be exhaustive. For the latest suggested donations list, please contact a Center for Development and Civic Engagement Specialist.
- Sewn Items
- 60” X 80” Blankets or Comforters (no lap robes at this time, please)
- Wheelchair bags
- Children's Activity Bags - Individual drawstring bags filled with items to keep children busy while they attend medical appointments with their Veteran guardians. Suggested items include activity books, crayons, stuffed animals, foam shapes, etc.:
- Comfort Items
- On-Ear Headphones
- Paddle hairbrushes
- Deodorant (men and women)
- Shaving Cream
- Full-size shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, and body/hand cream
- Gift Cards- Used for Veterans in need
- $20/$50 Walmart Gift Cards
- $20 Gas Station Gift Cards
- $20 Grocery Store Gift Cards (Hornbacher’s, Cashwise, Family Fare)
- Clothing Items for Emergent Needs and Homeless/At-Risk Veterans:
*Per facility policy, we cannot accept any used clothing*
- Winter coats (L, XL, or 2XL)
- Cold weather hats/caps (no knit or crocheted)
- Insulated gloves (L or XL)
- Sweatpants (S-3XL)
- Tee-shirts (S-3XL)
- Men’s underwear (S-2XL)
- Emergency food bags for at-risk and homeless Veterans
- Click for most recent requests:
Due to COVID-19, all donations must be mailed or dropped off outside the front doors of the Fargo VA. Please call the Center for Development and Civic Engagement to make an appointment for a contactless drop-off!
For any questions or additional information on volunteer positions or donations, please contact a Center for Development and Civic Engagement Specialist:
Fargo VA HCS
2101 Elm Street N
Fargo, ND 58102
Phone: 701-239-3700 ext. 3395