GLA launches Same-Day Housing Hotline for Homeless Veterans
January 4, 2023
Los Angeles , CA — To further its mission of ending Veteran homelessness, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System (VAGLAHS) has launched the Same-Day Access initiative, which provides Veterans wishing to get off the streets with a safe, clean place to reside that same day and begin the process of finding permanent housing.
Key components of the initiative include:
- A dedicated mini call-center to screen for eligibility and connect Veterans with transitional housing programs at the West LA VA campus or in the community.
- Rapid housing training for VA staff.
- Expanded low-barrier-to-entry emergency housing inventory at the West LA VA campus and in the community.
Those elements, combined with existing resources, ensure that all Veterans will be connected to shelter, homeless services or other VA support. Veterans experiencing homelessness will receive a response from a transitional housing provider/program liaison within 3 hours of contacting VA during normal business hours.
“VAGLAHS is committed to providing Veterans experiencing homelessness with the resources and support they need to stabilize, heal, grow and thrive,” said Deborah Carter, acting chief of Community Engagement and Reintegration Services (CERS), the nation’s largest and most comprehensive homeless services program. “Doing so without delay is critical as we know many Veterans are vulnerable and any roadblock in their way, no matter how large or small, can mean the difference between them turning their lives around or dying on the streets.”
Veterans and those in the community working with Veterans can reach the mini call-center at 310-268-3350 from 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday – Friday.
VA staff receiving these calls will utilize SQUARES, an online tool that provides instant eligibility determinations, to screen callers and refer them to transitional housing programs that best suit their needs.
Veterans in need of shelter after normal business hours will be able to secure a bed at two transitional housing programs. Partners operating these programs have amended their guidelines to accept Veterans that same day. These operators are:
- New Directions: Building 116 at the West LA VA, 11301 Wilshire Blvd.
- 310-597-2891 or 310-597-6950. Monday – Friday, up to 8 p.m.
- Volunteers of America (VOA): Multiple locations available.
- 213-563-7979. 24 hours, 7 days a week.