Skip to Content

Postdoctoral Fellowship in Clinical Neuropsychology

Located in the greater Chicago area, HVAH is accepting applications for a 2-year postdoctoral residency for the September 2024-August 2026 training period. This fellowship is best suited for candidates with a primary interest in clinical work, although research opportunities at Hines VA are possible. This program will participate in the National Match that is organized by APPCN for 2024.

The focus will be advanced clinical training in neuropsychology, with fellowship experiences shaped by INS/APA Division 40 and Houston Conference guidelines for postdoctoral training. Fellows will complete major rotations with the four board-certified clinical neuropsychologists, spanning experiences in 1) Outpatient Neuropsychology, 2) Inpatient Neuropsychology Consultation, and 3) TBI/Polytrauma. Minor rotations include group interventions with aging patients with neurocognitive disorder and their caregivers in the first year, and opportunities to work in assessment and treatment outside of our neuropsychology service (e.g., with a Geropsychologist on a residential unit, with a Rehabilitation/Neuropsychologist on an inpatient acute medical rehabilitation unit) in the second year. Fellows will participate in our weekly Neuropsychology seminar (which includes formal didactic presentations, clinical case presentations and journal club) and other disciplines’ grand rounds (e.g., Neurology, Psychiatry) as able. About 75% of the fellow’s time will be allocated to clinical activities, while the remaining 25% of time will be dedicated to education, research opportunities, program development, and administrative projects.

Yearly stipend is currently $57,815 ($60,939 in the second year), plus 13 days of vacation leave and 13 days of available sick leave, in addition to the 10 annual federal holidays. Health and life insurance coverage is available.

Please complete all application materials via the APPA CAS portal. Please contact David Kinsinger, PhD, ABPP-CN with any questions: david.kinsinger@va.gov

 

 

Accreditation

Questions related to the program’s accredited status should be directed to: Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation, American Psychological Association, 750 First Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20002-4242, Phone: 202-336-5979 / Email: apaaccred@apa.org / Web: www.apa.org/ed/accreditation

About Hines VA Hospital

Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital, in suburban Chicago, is one of the largest and most diversified medical and surgical hospitals in the Department of Veterans Affairs system and is the largest VA facility in Illinois. Hines is located 12 miles west of downtown Chicago, on a 147-acre campus.

The hospital is a tertiary referral center with many specialty services, including some that serve a large U.S. regional area.  Hines operates 483 hospital beds and completed more than 850,000 patient visits per year, serving more than 57,000 Veterans.

The facility oversees six community based outpatient clinics (CBOCs) located in Aurora, Hoffman Estates, Joliet, Kankakee, LaSalle, and Oak Lawn.

There are 4,296 employees who dedicate their time to taking care of our nation’s heroes.  Hines offers primary, extended and specialty care and serves as a tertiary care referral center (Level 1-A) for VISN 12.

Specialized clinical programs include Blind Rehabilitation, Spinal Cord Injury, Neurosurgery, Radiation Therapy and Cardiovascular Surgery, Spinal Cord Injury Residential Care Facility, Geriatrics, Extended Care Center, Amputation, Care and Treatment Program, Automated Fabrication of Mobility Aids services, Palliative and Hospice Care, and Interventional Radiology, Respite Care.

Hines also serves as the VISN 12 Polytrauma Network Site. Hines also has one of the largest research programs in the VA system, with approximately 550 projects, 175 investigators, and an estimated budget of $20,000,000 (VA and non-VA).

Hines VA Hospital Map