At the VA Illiana Healthcare System, we’re dedicated to improving the lives of Veterans and their families every day.
About VA Illiana Healthcare System
The VA Illiana Healthcare System provides you with outstanding health care, trains America’s future health care providers, and conducts important medical research.
Health care and services
We provide you with health care services at 6 locations serving a 34-county area of central Illinois and west-central Indiana. Facilities include our Danville VA Medical Center and 5 community-based outpatient clinics in Bloomington, Decatur, Mattoon, Peoria, and Springfield, Illinois. To learn more about the services each location offers, visit the VA Illiana health services page.
The VA Illiana Healthcare System is one of the leading health care systems serving Veterans in the VA Great Lakes Network. We’re an innovative care center within the Veterans Integrated Service Network 12 (VISN 12). VISN 12 includes medical centers and clinics in Wisconsin, Illinois, northwestern Indiana, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Teaching and learning
Danville VA Medical Center is a teaching hospital that provides a full range of health services for Veterans, with state-of-the-art technology as well as education and research.
We maintain affiliations with:
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Champaign-Urbana
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria
- Indiana University School of Optometry at Bloomington
- Western Michigan University
- Saint Louis University
We offer internships and residencies in all major medical specialties and subspecialties. We also provide associated training in health care fields like nursing, psychology, audiology, social work, dietetics, and pharmacy.
We’re proud of our partnerships with top institutions and organizations that support the educational mission of the VA.
- Our hospital and clinics serve more than 29,000 unique Veterans.
- We have served Veterans in Danville and surrounding areas since 1898.
- Our hospital operates 398 beds, including 223 community living beds.
- Our outpatient clinic in Peoria is named for Robert H. (Bob) Michel. After earning 4 battle stars, 2 Bronze Stars, and the Purple Heart fighting in World War II as an Army infantryman, Michel was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. He served in Congress from 1956 until 1995 when he retired.
Accreditations and achievements
Our facilities and programs have received accreditation from the:
- Joint Commission
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
- American Council of Optometric Educators (ACOE)
- The Association for Accreditation of Human Protection Program (AAHRPP) and Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Annual reports and newsletters
Hall of Heroes
The Hall of Heroes initiative is a way to recognize and honor local Veterans for their contribution to our nation and communities. Each year, starting in January 2024 VA Illiana will select two Veterans for induction in VA Illiana’s Hall of Heroes. Applications for induction into the Hall of Heroes will be open twice a year and one Veteran will be selected each time. Applications for the first induction ceremony which will be held in January are due on December 15, 2023.