At the VA Jackson Healthcare System, we’re dedicated to improving the lives of Veterans and their families every day.
About VA Jackson Healthcare System
The VA Jackson Healthcare System provides you with outstanding health care, trains America’s future health care providers, and conducts important medical research.
Health care and services
We provide you with health care services at 8 locations in Mississippi. Facilities include our G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery VA Medical Center and 7 community-based outpatient clinics in Columbus, Greenville, Hattiesburg, Kosciusko, McComb, Meridian, and Natchez. To learn more about the services each location offers, visit the VA Jackson health services page.
The VA Jackson Healthcare System is one of the leading health care systems serving Veterans in the South Central VA Health Care Network, which includes medical centers and clinics in Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, southeast Texas, and northwest Florida.
Research and development
G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery VA Medical Center is the clinic of jurisdiction for Mississippi and provides administrative support to VISN 16. We conduct research to discover knowledge, develop VA scientists and health care leaders, and create innovations that advance health care for Veterans and the nation. We offer Veterans the opportunity to participate in and benefit from our work. Our goal is to use research to promote better health and health care for all.
Connect with the Associate Chief of Staff for Research and Development
Teaching and learning
G. V. (Sonny) Montgomery VA Medical Center is a teaching hospital that provides a full range of services, with state-of-the-art technology as well as education and research.
We offer residency training in many major medical specialties and subspecialties, including an internship in health service psychology and a post-doctoral fellowship. We also train physician assistants and nurses and provide associated training in other health professions.
We’re proud of our partnerships with top institutions and organizations that support the educational mission of the VA.
Connect with the Associate Chief of Staff for Education
- G. V. (Sonny) Montgomery VA Medical Center (GVSMVAMC), located in Jackson, Mississippi, is a complexity level 1c teaching hospital assigned to the South Central VA Healthcare Network (VISN 16).
- The GVSMVAMC provides quality, patient-centered healthcare to more than 54,000 enrolled Veterans throughout 53 counties in Mississippi and three Louisiana parishes.
- We provide comprehensive healthcare through Primary Care, Medical and Surgical Specialty Care, and Mental Health Programming. Geriatrics and Extended Care services are also offered, including long term care, respite, rehabilitation, dementia care, hospice and palliative care, transitional care and a variety of home care services.
- The facility is authorized 242 beds, VA community clinics, and a variety of outpatient programs are utilized to support the needs of aging veterans.
- We offer services at seven community-based outpatient clinics located throughout the state of Mississippi. These clinics are located in — Columbus, Greenville, Hattiesburg, Kosciusko, McComb, Meridian, and Natchez. In addition, we have clinics in the Jackson metro area to increase Veteran support at our main facility in Jackson.
Accreditations and achievements
Our facilities and programs have received accreditation from:
- The Joint Commission
- Accreditation Program for Excellence (APEX) Radiation Oncology Program
- Ascellon-Community Living Center
- American Academy of Sleep (ASSM)
- Association for Advancement of Blood and Biotherapies (AABB)
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
- Accredited Clinical Pastoral Education Program
- American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics, & Pedorthics