The DAISY award for Extraordinary Nurses was created by Bonnie and Mark Barnes. They wanted to give patients families and co-workers an easy way to express their gratitude for nurses who provide extraordinary compassionate care. Just as nurses did for their son, before he passed away.
The nurses here at Lexington VA Health Care System are on the front lines of patient care. Nominations are always welcomed, from our Veterans, their family, the community and staff members. One nurse (RN/LPN, APN) is recognized monthly, and then one nursing leader (supervisor, manager, program director, leader / consultant role) recognized quarterly.
The following are examples of criteria for selecting a Nurse Honoree:
- Made a special connection with the patient or their family
- Excels at educating their patient and family
- Works well with the multidisciplinary healthcare team to meet patient and family needs
- Maintains positive attitude and demonstrates professionalism in workplace
- Job performance exemplifies the mission and vision of the VA
- Demonstrates excellent assessment and decision-making skills
- Exhibits excellent interpersonal skills with all staff
Please consider nominating a Nurse or Nurse Leader at LVAHCS with submissions for April nominees sent by April 30th. Submissions may be forwarded via any method below.
Please give completed form to a clinic/unit secretary, place in a DAISY collection box, email to email@example.com OR mail drop to:
118 LD, DAISY Coordinator
c/o Lexington VA Health Care System
2250 Leestown Road
Lexington, KY 40511
To learn more about the DAISY Foundation: