Volunteer or donate
VA Louisville Healthcare System depends on the goodwill of our supporters. You can make a difference when you help us serve our Veterans.
Become a volunteer
The Robley Rex VA Medical Center depends on the goodwill of donors and volunteers who want to give something back to America's heroes. Volunteers provide much-needed help throughout the health care system and make patients' experiences more enjoyable. Many different volunteer opportunities are available, and each volunteer's talents are closely matched with one of our assignments.
Adult Volunteers (minimum of 18 years old) who are considered to be Regularly Scheduled, are asked to commit to a minimum of 4 hours each week for a minimum of one year.
Volunteers are educated about the importance of ethics and confidentiality, professional behavior and appearance, proper patient interaction, universal precautions, infection control, fire safety and information privacy and cyber security.
In addition to supporting Veterans in your area, you’ll enjoy the following benefits as a VA Volunteer:
- Free Canteen Meal during shifts of 4 hours or more
- Free Annual Flu Shot
- Free Covid Vaccination, plus boosters
- Designated parking
- Annual Volunteer Awards Program & Luncheon
Whatever your interest, Robley Rex VA Medical Center has volunteer opportunities for you. Below are just some of the ways you can help. All Volunteers must complete a background check and be COVID vaccinated.
- Escort: Escort patients to medical appointments and transporting lab requests
- Greeter: Greet outpatients, guests, visitors, and patients’ families, give directions, answer phone and transfer calls at the information desk.
- Transportation: Veteran Transportation Network (VTN) Drive patients from their homes to VA medical center for appointments
- To inquire about becoming a Volunteer, please email us at VHALOUVAVS@va.gov or call 502-287-6221.
Monetary donations made to the Robley Rex VA Medical Center help to fund recreational activities, and purchase amenities that improve the quality of life for patients in our Homeless Veterans Program, Women Veterans Program, Mental Health, Hospice, and other long-term and acute care inpatient areas.
If you would like to donate by mail, please send check (Robley Rex VA Medical Center) to:
Robley Rex VA Medical Center
800 Zorn Avenue
Louisville, Kentucky 40206
If you would like to donate electronically, please see the E-Donate please visit the VA Donate Page
Non-Monetary items that are also very appreciated include:
- Puzzles, Word search and puzzle books (New) – Used for Veteran inpatients
- Snacks, 100% fruit juices and bottled Water – These donations are used for Recreational activities and in outpatient clinic areas
- Craft Kits and art supplies - Kits are distributed to Veteran patients to help relieve stress. Wood and leather kits, beading, models, yarn and painting kits, dream catchers, sun catchers, adult coloring books, and colored pencils