Hall of Heroes
The Hall of Heroes in the William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital formally recognizes the valorous military service by Veterans who are currently or would have been eligible for care at the Madison VA Hospital and Clinics.
Inductions occur twice a year around Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Inductees are honored on the Hall of Heroes wall at the William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital.
Criteria for Veterans:
- Served in conflict or wartime
- Received military awards for valor and/or specific combat actions
- Currently or would have been eligible for care at the Madison VA Hospital and Clinics
- Connection to local VA and community
- Applications are reviewed for completion by VA staff
- Names are redacted and sent to a non-VA review panel
- The Veteran's application packet with the highest score is sent to the hospital director for final review and approval
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Both living and deceased Veterans can be nominated.
In addition to the online application packet on this page, applications can be obtained through the Patient Education Resource Center (PERC) at the William S. Middleton Memorial Hospital.
Applications can be dropped off at the front desk at the Patient Education Resource Center (PERC) at the William S. Middleton Memorial Hospital.
Normally, two Veterans are inducted every year into the Hall of Heroes, one around Memorial Day and one around Veterans Day.
Nomination applications must be submitted by March 1 for the spring induction and September 1 for the fall induction. Applicants will be notified of decision around April 1st and October 1st of the induction year.
Once a decision is made, all nominees will be notified. Veterans not selected will have the opportunity to keep the application active for the next selection cycle.
The ceremony is open to the public. The Veteran or nominator, family of the inductee, VA staff, media, past inductees, local military and other interested parties will also be invited.