Medical Foster Home Program
The Medical Foster Home (MFH) Program is a voluntary program that offers safe, long-term care in a home setting. MFH is a comprehensive care, dynamic alternative for Veterans who prefer to live in a private home rather than a nursing home.
Want to Make a Difference in the life of a Veteran? Become a MFH Caregiver
The VA Medical Center in Manchester NH is seeking Caregiver applicants for its Medical Foster Home Program.
If you are interested in becoming a Medical Foster Home (MFH) Caregiver, review the Medical Foster Home Checklist for more information, and reach out to our local MFH Coordinator.
MFH combines care in a private home in the community with Home Based Primary Care (HBPC) support from a VA interdisciplinary team. This team of primary care providers, nurses, social workers, dieticians, psychologists, occupational therapists and recreational therapists will provide care and visit with the Veteran(s) on a regular basis. The MFH Program Coordinator provides ongoing support and education to the MFH Caregiver, including monthly visits.
Medical foster home features
- Private room with potential to bring spouse/partner
- Potential to bring a personal pet into the Medical Foster Home
- 24-hour care plan; Caregiver lives in the home and provides hands-on daily care
- Medication management
- Personal care (dressing, grooming, bathing, etc.)
- Meals, laundry, cleaning
- Flexible daily routine with various recreational options
- Long term care option, including through hospice care
- Signed care agreement between Caregiver and the Veteran or their legal representative
- Personalized, collaborative care
- Maximum of 3 residents per home
- High quality care outcomes and high Veteran satisfaction results
- The VA Medical Foster Home and Home Based Primary Care teams are able to support Medical Foster Homes which are located 35 miles or a 45-minute drive from Manchester, Portsmouth, Somersworth, Conway or Tilton