Volunteer or donate
VA Memphis Healthcare System depends on the goodwill of our supporters. You can make a difference when you help us serve our Veterans.
Become a volunteer
VAMC Memphis depends on the goodwill of our benefactors and volunteers who wish to give something back to America's heroes.
Volunteers provide many important functions throughout the Medical Center and help make our patients' stay more enjoyable. Volunteers can perform a number of services, and a volunteer's talents are closely matched with one of our many assignments. Visit our Volunteer Assignments section below to learn more. VAMC Memphis can boast of a rich tradition of partnership with local corporations and community organizations volunteering for a one time project or on a regular schedule.
To volunteer, call or visit the VAMC Memphis Voluntary Service Office. We will be happy to receive your application or discuss how you can help us in our mission to provide comfort and care to America's veterans.
Cash donations are used for the comfort and welfare of our veteran patients, including:
- hygiene products
- refreshment supplies
- hoptel rooms
- recreational activities
Non-cash contributions are used to make our patients' stay more enjoyable. Items which are accepted include:
- magazines for patient waiting rooms
- coffee and cookies
- new or gently used clothing
- telephone cards
- gift cards
- gas cards
To make a cash or non-cash contribution, please contact the VAMC Memphis Voluntary Service.
Click Here to Donate
Through E-Donate, donors can select from a number of accounts at the medical center they wish to donate to. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs administrative costs are appropriated so donors can be 100 percent certain their donations will go directly to the funds and Veteran patients they select.
Donated money at the Memphis VA medical center goes to items such as hygiene products, refreshment supplies for Veterans, hoptel room, and recreational activities. The actual donation is made through a secure site at the Department of Treasury’s www.pay.gov. A minimum of $5 is required for online donation and you can donate by any electronic means commonly used on the Internet today (i.e. credit card or debit card). You choose the medical center, you choose the amount, and you choose from available options how your money will support local Veterans.
We've listed some of the ways you can volunteer below. However, if you have special skills to offer, please call us so we can discuss how you can best use your talents to help our patients.
Volunteer Van Drivers
Help pick-up outpatients receiving chemotherapy, dialysis, radiation therapy, and other outpatient appointments. To fill this role, you must have a current drivers license and automobile insurance and pass a physical exam. Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon, or 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m.
Information Desk Volunteer
Help patients and visitors with information and clinic locations. Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon, or 12:00 noon - 4:00 p.m.
Parking Lot Golf Cart Drivers
Help outpatients in our large parking areas with access to the medical center. To fill this role, you must have a current drivers license. Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon, or 12:00 noon - 3:30 p.m.
Volunteer Office Assistant
Help different medical or administrative offices in the medical center. Duties include filing, answering phones, and greeting and directing patients. Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon, or 12:00 noon - 4:00 p.m.
Volunteer Menu Assistant
Help patients located in the Spinal Cord Injury Service with selective menus. Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Volunteer Patient Reminder Caller
Help make phone calls to remind patients about their scheduled appointments. Open hours.
Patient Escort Volunteers
Provide assistance with pushing patients in wheelchairs to their scheduled appointments. Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Hospitality Beverage Cart
Deliver beverages to outpatient clinics and waiting areas. Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m., or 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Magazine / Book Cart
Sort donated magazines and books, and take the cart to designated waiting areas. Open hours.
Mail Room Assistant
Complete mail room projects and deliver mail to medical center departments. Open hours.
Visits with patients, run errands and assist staff. Available positions every day, 8:00 a.m. - Noon, Noon - 4:00 p.m., and 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Information Desk Volunteer
Evenings and weekends available.
Phone Call Volunteer
Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. available.
Monday through Friday, 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. available.
Volunteering Frequently Asked Questions
1. What do I need to do to become a volunteer?
- We offer several volunteer orientation classes throughout the year. The class lasts about two hours. To obtain an orientation schedule or register for an upcoming orientation, please call Voluntary Service at 901-577-7305.
2. After attending volunteer orientation class, what are the next steps?
- Obtaining a volunteer identification badge, and submitting finger prints are the next two steps. Two forms of government issued ID's are needed. Examples: state drivers license, social security card, passport, voter registration card, etc. One form of ID must have a photograph.
- For your well being and the safety of the patients, one or two tuberculosis tests must have a negative result before contact with the veterans can be allowed. TB test results from another agency must be signed by an RN or MD and can be faxed to our medical center.
3. Where are the volunteer orientation classes held?
- The orientation sessions are conducted at the VA Memphis Medical Center located at 1030 Jefferson Avenue, Memphis, TN 38104. We are located in the medical center area near downtown Memphis. The orientation classes will be held in Conference Room BE202, second floor of Bldg. 1.
4. How often can I volunteer?
- There are no maximum hours per month but there is a minimum of four hours per month for each volunteer. If you are assigned to perform court ordered service, the total number of hours to be completed must be at least fifty.
5. What if I do not have time to give but still want to help veterans?
6. Can corporations and/or small businesses volunteer?
- Yes, there are several ways to volunteer such as visiting patients, serving refreshments, planting a serenity garden, etc.
7. If I live far away from Memphis, can I still volunteer?
- Yes, we have virtual assignments.