MOVE! Weight Management Program
We offer easy-to-follow weight management plans backed by the latest science. Our experts can help you reduce health risks, prevent or reverse some diseases and live a better—and even longer—life.
The MOVE! Weight Management Program is a national VA program to help you lose weight, keep it off and improve your health.
- Emphasis on health and wellness through nutrition, physical activity and behavior change
- Lifetime and lifestyle focus with achievable goals
- Tailored to meet your individual needs
- Regular follow-up and support
MOVE! is available to VA-enrolled Veterans with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25 or greater, who feel they can benefit from MOVE! and who are motivated to make lifestyle changes.
Optional enrollment is available for Veterans 70 years or older, or those at a BMI less than 30 without co-morbid conditions.
Ask your doctor
Appointments with MOVE! staff can be requested at any time. Ask your doctor or nurse about the program. Once you're connected with the MOVE! program, staff can review your progress and discuss strategies. Visits with a dietitian, behavioral health expert or fitness specialists are also available.
Give us a call
Complete the MOVE 11 questionnaire.
Print the patient report.
Bring the printed patient report or the retrieval code (located at the top of the first page of the report) to your first visit with MOVE! staff.
Our MOVE! Program offers a variety of services:
- Group or individual care utilizing various communication methods. This includes traditional in-person visits, telephone care, email and telehealth.
- Weight loss medications.
- Intensive weight management residential program or bariatric surgery may be provided along with self-management support. These options require extensive screening and you must meet certain requirements.
Start SMART introductory visit
Introduces VA weight management and nutrition services. You will learn about healthy eating, exercise and goal setting, and develop an initial treatment plan that serves as the starting point to better health. The Start SMART class is offered via video, conference call or in person. Contact your primary care clinic to get scheduled or call the MOVE! Program at 612-467-3600.
- Minneapolis VA medical center: Video, phone and in-person options available (various days and times). Please call to schedule your preferred day and time.
- Minneapolis VA community clinics: Phone visits currently available (various days and times). Dial-in number and conference ID information is provided when appointment is scheduled.
There are a few types of telephone programs available. Phone care is a great option if you prefer individual visits and want flexibility and convenience in scheduling.
- Telephone Lifestyle Coaching (TLC):
- Consists of 10 weekly phone visits followed by 4 monthly phone visits.
- Veterans are given a workbook and discuss weight-related topics with an assigned coach.
- Various days and times are available.
- Clinical video telehealth
- Video teleconferencing group, or individual visits, from Minneapolis to a VA clinic site. Contact your local clinic to schedule an appointment.
- In-home telephone messaging tool to support self-management of weight loss. On a daily basis it provides information, poses questions and prompts you to refer to a workbook provided as part of the treatment.
- Annie app*
- Text message capability to promote self-care when you're enrolled in VA health care. Use with any mobile phone or device that connects to the internet. Automated text messages are sent to prompt you to track your own health.
- MOVE! Coach mobile app*
- Easy-to-use, self-guided program that provides everything you need to set, track and achieve weight loss goals. Available on both Android and Apple devices.
- Secure messaging via My HealtheVet*
- Web-based message system that allows you and your VA health care team to communicate non-urgent health related information. Our team name is MSP MOVE! Program HPDP.
- To sign up for My HealtheVet register at www.myhealth.va.gov. Contact 612-467-3629 to learn more about My HealtheVet and secure messaging.
* participation does not qualify for advanced MOVE! options
Meet with one or more of our qualified MOVE! staff to discuss your weight loss barriers and develop strategies to help you make lifestyle changes to improve your health and reduce your weight.
- Individual sessions
- This program consists of meeting with a MOVE! dietitian in clinic. You will record your food and beverage intake, and physical activity and develop a weight loss plan tailored to fit your needs.
- MOVE! counseling
- Appointments with MOVE! staff can be requested at any time. Our team can review your progress and discuss ways to help you reach your goals. Meet with our doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses, dietitians, behavioral health experts or physical therapists. Contact the Minneapolis VA MOVE! program or your local VA clinic to request an appointment.
Outpatient group sessions are a great way to learn more about a healthy lifestyle while getting support from others. MOVE! offers a variety of group options.
- MOVE! group lifestyle coaching class series
- Meet virtually with fellow MOVERS to discuss topics related to nutrition, exercise and behavior change for weight loss success.
- Download the full workbook or individual modules.
- A group coach assists you in learning new skills for making healthy lifestyle changes. Through a wide variety of discussion topics and a team approach, you'll learn to resist temptations, self-monitor, problem solve, and make healthy choices that are designed to last a lifetime!
- Groups meet every other week for 12 sessions. At the medical center only, a second option of meeting weekly for 16 weeks is also available.
- Walking group (Veteran led)
- Get together with other Veterans for a group walk. Distance varies according to walking abilities.
- Walking groups are offered at the Minneapolis VA medical center and at some VA clinic sites.
- Please note: participation in walking group does not qualify for advanced MOVE! options.
- Support groups
- Support groups give you a chance to share with other Veterans who face the day-to-day challenges of weight management. Regular support groups are offered at the Minneapolis VA medical center and at most VA clinic sites.
- Mindfulness program
- The Stress Reduction through Mindfulness program uses mindfulness meditation techniques to help you overcome stress. This is an eight-week, meditation-based course for people with health problems, including obesity.
- Call 612-467-3031 for more information.
- Healthy Teaching Kitchen
- Learn how to cook new and interesting recipes to support your health and wellness goals. Classes are provided through demonstration with the option to sample the recipe at the end of class.
- Call Nutrition and Food Services at 612-467-2004 to schedule an appointment.
Weight loss medications
Weight loss medications work best when combined with diet and activity changes. There must be a willingness to use the medications as part of a weight loss plan. After on-going participation in MOVE!, an appointment must be requested in our weight loss clinic. Individual screening is required and certain criteria must be met. Regular follow-up visits with our MOVE! providers are required to keep your prescription current.
Intensive weight management
The Intensive Weight Management Program (IWMP) is a 10-day, in-house outpatient program provided over 6 weeks for Veterans with a BMI of 40 or greater or a BMI of 35 or greater with severe medical problems due to obesity (uncontrolled diabetes, severe sleep apnea, high blood pressure, joint problems, or heart disease, etc.).
Week one participants stay in-house for 5 days and are placed on a very low calorie diet while engaging in group and individual visits and activities. Then patients implement tools and strategies at home for 4 weeks, with a mid-way appointment with the nurse and dietitian to monitor progress. During the 6th (and final) week of the program, participants return to the hospital and resume a very low calorie diet and participate in group activities and individual visits.
Participants are prescribed a very low calorie diet consisting of three meals during the program. Several education classes, recreational activities, videos and routine exercise sessions are scheduled throughout each day. Frequent walking in or around the medical center is expected.
At the end of IWMP, Veterans are scheduled to meet in a group for support and motivation. Individual appointments, support groups, and other MOVE! services are available at the conclusion of this program.
To learn more, contact the Minneapolis VA MOVE! Program at 612-629-7388.
Weight loss surgery is for some Veterans who remain severely obese after trying other weight loss methods or have an obesity-related disease. Interested candidates must complete required MOVE! education and meet initial eligibility criteria to pursue a bariatric surgery evaluation.
If you are approved to start the bariatric surgery pathway you will meet with our team over several visits to fully prepare yourself for life after surgery.
Contact the Minneapolis VA MOVE! Program at 612-629-7388 to learn more about bariatric (weight loss) surgery.