Being a VA nurse is the best way to serve those who have served all of us. It is a mission-driven calling to be able to utilize our strengths and talents as clinicians in a capacity that gives back to a patient population that is most deserving of care.
Meet your Nurse Recruiter!
At Minneapolis VA Health Care System (MVAHCS), we pride ourselves on our mission for excellence, quality and safety for patients and staff.
Values and clinical services
Nursing is vital in every component of our integrated healthcare system and we value the importance of supporting nurses to practice to the top of their license and remain active participants in the quality healthcare that is provided throughout our organization.
We value accountability, respect, continuous improvement, collaboration, compassion, trust and commitment to each other and to our mission to serve. We support staff engagement and development through professional governance embedded within our model of nursing care.
Minneapolis VA Health Care System is a Complexity Level-1A tertiary teaching health care organization providing an array of inpatient and outpatient multidisciplinary care in a service-line structure including Primary Care, Specialty/Surgical Care, Mental Health and Rehabilitation and Extended Care services.
We are home to 12 inpatient units (including ICU, stepdown, telemetry/med surg, polytrauma/acute rehab, psychiatric and extended rehab units). Other services include spinal cord injury and disorder (SCI/D), primary and specialty medicine (neurology, cardiology/cath lab, hematology/oncology), level III Emergency Department, OR and hybrid OR suites and 13 VA Community Clinics.
Extended level of skilled nursing care is provided in the Community Living Center. Home-based primary care (HBPC), SCI/D home care and mental health intensive case management (MHICM) is provided in the Veteran’s home.
How to apply
Some nursing vacancies are announced on USAJOBS.
For a full list of internal nursing vacancies, please email the Nurse Recruiter. Applying on USAJOBS is not required for all nursing positions. Please submit your resume/CV to the Nurse Recruiter and indicate which nursing position you are interested in. For additional questions related to nursing vacancies, contact the Nurse Recruiter.
Amy Daly, MSN, RN
One Veterans Drive,
Minneapolis, MN 55417
Selection, orientation and benefits
Learn more about the federal government selection process, our new employee orientation and a few of the benefits of working with us.
Upon selection for a position, you can expect it to take anywhere from 1-3 months to complete all the necessary pre-employment requirements for federal employment. You will be expected to collect and/or complete the following before an official offer and start date are given:
- Fingerprinting and security clearance (eQip)
- Medical examination (including drug screening and current immunization records/COVID-19 vaccination status)
- Credentialing verification (Vetpro) of education, work history and licensure
- Letters of recommendation/ professional references/ performance review
- Transcripts may be required
- DD214 for prior military service
Upon receipt of all the required items, HR will be able to present an official offer and determine start date. Therefore, it is essential for the candidate to be actively involved in this pre-employment process. If you have questions or concerns throughout this process, please contact the Nurse Recruiter.
Upon hire, each candidate will receive a customized orientation packet specific to their experience and clinical needs. All employees are required to attend new employee orientation within the first 60 days of hire, which consists of two 8-hour days of facility-specific training. These dates are predetermined by the Education Service Line for the calendar year.
Specific questions regarding new grad residency programs, preceptor programs and length of orientation programs should be discussed with your manager and the education department.
Minneapolis VA Medical Center employee benefits
- VA employee benefit information: view VA Employment Benefits
- Subsidized mass transit/public transit
- The VA Neighborhood Child Care Center located on the Medical Center grounds
- Tuition reimbursement for select positions
Minneapolis VA Medical Center nurse benefits
- Nursing package information: view the Total Rewards of VA Employment - Nursing Careers brochure and the Total Rewards of VA Employment - Nursing Careers flyer
- Compressed work hours; flexible scheduling; telework eligibility for select positions
- Supported time for professional development and committee/council participation
- Tuition support programs for continuing education
- National support and involvement in largest nursing workforce in the country
Nursing residencies and internships
Minneapolis VA Medical Center has a variety of nursing internship programs at different levels. We also offer VALOR, an honors residency program for select nursing students.