New Mexico VA Fisher House
The Albuquerque Fisher House is a beautiful home away from home for the families of Veterans receiving care at the Raymond G. Murphy VA Health Care System. The Fisher House provides temporary lodging in a comfortable and relaxed setting, only a few blocks away from the medical facility. Guests can stay at the Fisher House at no cost for as long as their loved one is hospitalized.
Albuquerque Fisher House
In the ongoing effort to provide the best care and support for the VA community during the COVID-19 pandemic, VA Medical Center visitor restrictions impact Fisher House availability. For up-to-date information on the status of the Albuquerque VA Fisher House, please contact the Fisher House directly.
A home away from home
The Albuquerque Fisher House, dedicated in October 2019, is the 85th Fisher House constructed and gifted to a VA or military installation by the Fisher House Foundation. The Albuquerque Fisher House celebrated its second anniversary on October 11, 2021. In two years, we have welcomed 221 military and Veteran families, saving them over $444,000 in lodging costs!
You can visit our Albuquerque Fisher House at New Mexico VA campus near the San Mateo entrance at Building 85, near the parade grounds. To stay at the Fisher House, families must meet eligibility requirements. We are a temporary residence, NOT a treatment facility, hospice, counseling center, or homeless shelter.
Because a family's love is good medicine
A Veteran must refer a family to the VA healthcare team. Requests cannot be made directly to the Fisher House. Active-Duty families, please contact us directly at 505-265-1711, ext. 3180.
A referral is a request and does not guarantee a reservation. Reservations depend on eligibility and availability.
Family reservations include one private suite to share and cannot exceed the room's maximum occupancy. Families share a communal kitchen, laundry room, dining room, and family rooms with all other guests in the house. Children are welcome at the Fisher House but require supervision by their guardians at all times.
Animals are not allowed. Service Dogs are permitted if they belong to the registered guest, including proof of vaccinations and the guest abides by Service Dog rules.
To be eligible for accommodations, families must meet the following requirements:
- 50 miles/2-hour commute from the Raymond G. Murphy Medical Center
- Family member/caregiver of a Veteran receiving care through the VA
- Actively engaged in the hospitalized Veterans' treatment plan
- Medically stable and capable of self-care
- Independent and able to live in a communal setting
- Living in stable, permanent housing (not homeless)
- Is free from infectious diseases (flu, chicken pox, C-Diff, etc.)
- Abide by the Fisher House Guest Agreement and Rules
Families who are guests at the Fisher House must abide by the Guest Agreement and House Rules to maintain their reservation.
How you can help
Thanks to our community's generosity, we can keep our Fisher House families comforted during their stay. You can support the Fisher House mission in the following ways:
Due to COVID-19, the Meal Train program will remain suspended until further notice. Instead, please consider sponsoring a meal by donating gift cards (Visa, Instacart, DoorDash, Grubhub, restaurant, etc.) for guests.
Please check our monthly newsletter for current needs or refer to our Amazon Wish List, designed to give donors suggestions for purchasing items. You can shop elsewhere, but please email us at email@example.com when you mail us a wish list item.
If you order through Amazon Smile, you can register the Friends of New Mexico Fisher House as your designated charity.
Make secure e-Donations at: https://www.pay.gov/public/form/start/52238064. Please select General Purpose/Veterans Needs and For Albuquerque Fisher House in the additional information box.
To donate via check, Visa, or gas cards in $25 denominations, please mail directly to Fisher House at:
1501 San Pedro SE
Attn: Fisher House
Albuquerque, NM 87108
To ensure that your donation is accepted, please be aware of the following donation guidelines:
- All items must be new, preferably in a wrapper/box with registration or warranty information.
- Used or open items are not accepted.
- Include a donation slip for each donation. If you mail items, please include your name and contact information or email the Fisher House staff with this information.
- If you have a donation that may be a better fit for another VA Service or Department, contact the CDCE office at 505-265-1711, ext. 2771 with your donation. Numerous VA programs operate thanks to generous donations from our community.