Volunteer or donate
VA New Mexico Healthcare System depends on the goodwill of our supporters. You can make a difference when you help us serve our Veterans.
Become a volunteer
- The adopt-a-Holiday program furnishes tray covers and napkins for patients’ dinner trays on special holidays.
- The Clothes Closet program furnishes needy Veterans with clean, used clothing and new underwear.
- DAV Transportation Network Program furnishes transportation for Veterans from outlying areas to the medical center
- In-House Patient Transport includes a day and evening shift.
- Guest Services include Friday newspapers, comfort items, and bottled water.
- Health and Occupations Careers Program provides underprivileged youth an opportunity to learn about jobs, careers, and social interaction.
- Mobile Coffee Cart Program provides free coffee to Veterans and their families in the various waiting rooms throughout the hospital.
- Popcorn Program provides hot, fresh popcorn as a fund-raising program for various volunteer activities.
- Summer Student Program provides opportunities for youth ages 15-18 to learn more about medical careers.
Application Process: Contact our local Center for Development and Civic Engagement Dept. (formerly Voluntary Service ) at: 505-256-2771 to obtain an application form. After filling out and returning the form, schedule an appointment for an interview with the Specialist. After the interview, prospective volunteers must attend an orientation and complete the onboarding process.
Volunteer Benefits: All volunteers that work four or more hours during weekdays may have a meal ticket to obtain a free same-day lunch ($8.00 maximum) at the Veterans Canteen. Volunteers will receive free parking, identification badges, jackets/vests, initial tuberculin testing, and annual flu vaccinations. Volunteers are honored with awards ceremonies and special activities. Respect and admiration abound from serving those who served.