Post-graduate psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner residency program
Thank you for your interest in the psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner residency (PMHNPR). This residency is designed for new nurse practitioners with a commitment to serve the Veteran population.
Accepting applications for Mental Health Residency 2023 Cohorts starting October 1, 2022 and ending on February 1, 2023.
Note: Applications must be submitted to NTX118.MentalHealth.NPR@va.gov. No exceptions will be made after the deadline.
When to apply:
- Accepting applications October 1, 2022 12am CST – February 1, 2023 12am CST
- Note: No exceptions will be made after the deadline.
- Applicants will be notified if selected for an interview no later than April 07, 2023.
- The 2023-2024 Cohort will begin on August 13th, 2022.
- Notice: If you are a current government employee, please contact Dr. Queeneth Jones prior to completing your application. A conversion status change from employee to trainee, including changes in benefits, will be required to participate in the residency programs.
The OAA residency is a 12 month program structured with a four-phase curriculum model with 80% experiential and 20% didactic learning activities. The Residency model comprises introductory rotations, longitudinal core rotations, and rotations to specialty mental health clinics.
Clinical rotations will be within the Dallas VAMC, inclusive of surrounding community based out-patient clinics (CBOCS). Didactic sessions consists of an assortment of academic/learning activities, didactic classes, and pre/post-clinical conferences for experiential learning and formative/summative evaluations.
Residents will participate in a interprofessional learning environment with medicine, nursing, pharmacy, psychology and other interdisciplinary health care team members. Additionally, residents will implement an evidence-based practice scholarly project and participate in professional development activities geared to career advancement, networking, and building relationships within the VA Healthcare community.
Upon completion of this program graduates will receive a Residency Completion Certificate.
Our program will support a total of two residents each year.
- Psychiatric research/journal clubs
- Teaching opportunities
- Psychopharmacology education groups
Required rotation experiences
- Outpatient mental health (longitudinal rotation)
- Community based outpatient clinic (CBOC) (longitudinal rotation)
- Primary care – mental health integration (PCMHI)
- Substance use disorders
- Inpatient psychiatry
- Inpatient & outpatient geriatric psychiatry
Elective rotation experiences
- Any of the aforementioned rotations
- MH consultation team
- Homeless domiciliary (HDOM)
- Trauma clinic
- Consult liaison psychiatry
Demonstrate proficiency in teaching employing didactic experiences and small group learning environments
Develop operative precepting experience
Interpret and disseminate knowledge in psychopharmacology
Enhance the partnerships between VA and academic affiliate University PMHNP programs
Successfully transition the PMHNP resident from advanced beginner to competent independent psychiatric nurse practitioner
Advance a mastery of knowledge base in psychiatric illnesses and psychopharmacology
Develop patient care in chronic and acute care scenarios
Establish oneself as an essential BHIP team member
Enhance interdisciplinary and collaboration and educational opportunities for PMHNP residents
Develop a system of introspective-assessment and self-development
Demonstrate exemplary verbal and written communication ability
Employ a system for prioritizing work-related and personal responsibility
Identify the importance of professionalism through contribution in mental health
- Salary is paid by the VA Office of Academic Affiliations (OAA) and rates may increase depending on the current year allocation rate.
- Government health care medical plan with optional dental, vision, and life insurance.
- 10 paid holidays.
- PTO & sick leave accrued per pay period.
- No call or weekend shifts required.
- 100% protected learning time.
- Other VA unmatched benefits.