VA Northern California offering COVID-19 boosters
The VA Northern California Health Care System is now offering Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 vaccine boosters under Emergency Use Authorization as supply and capacity permits.
This decision follows the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) announcements authorizing a booster dose of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and J&J COVID vaccines and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) recommendations, as follows:
For individuals who received a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the following groups are eligible for a booster shot at six months or more after their initial series:
- 65 years of age and older
- 18 years of age and older who are residents in long-term care settings
- 18 through 64 years of age at high risk of severe COVID-19
- 18 through 64 years of age with frequent institutional or occupational exposure to SARS-CoV-2
For people who received a Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, booster shots are recommended for those who were vaccinated at least two months ago and 18 and older.
Eligible individuals may choose which vaccine they receive as a booster dose. Some people may prefer the vaccine type that they initially received, and others may prefer to get a different booster. CDC’s recommendations now allow for this type of mix and match dosing for booster shots.
How do I schedule my COVID Vaccine Booster?
You can request an appointment at your nearest VA facility for your booster shot whether you received your initial series at VA or outside of VA. Please make sure to bring your CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card to your appointment! This is particularly important if your initial series was given outside of VA.
- To schedule an appointment, call 1-800-382-8387 , option 8. The call center is open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT, excluding federal holidays, Monday through Friday.
- Veterans enrolled in VA health care can also request an appointment by sending a Secure Message to “COVID VACCINE SCHEDULING – NCHCS” in My HealtheVet.
- To ensure you can receive a booster dose as quickly as possible and sufficient supply is available, we highly recommend scheduling an appointment. Walk-in visits are welcome while supplies last. For walk-in times, visit www.va.gov/northern-california-health-care/programs/covid-19-vaccines/.
Who can get a third dose of COVID-19 vaccine at VA?
A third dose of COVID-19 vaccine is available to patients who received both doses of either the Pfizer OR Moderna vaccine and have an immunocompromised medical condition. Individuals should contact their care team if they have any questions.
What if I receive my booster shot or third dose outside of VA?
If a Veteran decides to receive their booster shot or third dose outside of VA, they are encouraged to share this information with their VA care team.
We also continue to encourage all Veterans to get vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible if they have not done so already. We offer first and second dose COVID-19 vaccinations at all VA NorCal locations. For more info, visit www.va.gov/northern-california-health-care/programs/covid-19-vaccines/.
Everyone entering our facilities is screened, and face masks are mandatory. Veterans should check-in for scheduled appointments from the safety of their vehicle by sending the word "here" to 53079. This will notify your care team that you are at the facility waiting to be called into your appointment. You must use a mobile phone that is on file in your electronic health record.