I am an Active Duty service member
The term “service member” means a member of the “uniformed services,” consisting of the armed forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard), the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Services. Read below for information about VA benefits for active duty service members.
National Guard and Reserve members with active service may qualify for a variety of VA benefits. Additionally, Traditional and Technician National Guard and Reserve members, who typically serve one weekend a month and two weeks a year, are eligible for some VA benefits. See the National Guard and Reserve page for more information about these benefits.
VA health care benefits include all the necessary inpatient hospital care and outpatient services to promote, preserve, or restore your health. Benefits include:
- Medical, dental, pharmacy, and prosthetic services
- Nursing home and community-based residential care
- Specialized health care for women Veterans
- Alcohol and drug dependency treatment
VA health care facilities are available to active duty service members in emergency situations and upon referral by military treatment facilities through Sharing Agreements or under your TRICARE coverage.
The Veterans Benefits Administration offers a wide-variety of benefits and services to service members. National Guard and Reserve members with active service may also qualify for a variety of VA benefits. See our National Guard and Reserve page for more information about these benefits.
- Post-9/11 GI Bill
- Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
- Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
- Post-Vietnam Era Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
- Purchase Loan
- Cash Out Refinance Loan
- Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loan (IRRRL)
- Native American Direct Loan (NADL) Program
- Adapted Housing Grants
- Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
- Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI)
- Family Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (FSGLI)
- Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Protection (TSGLI)