Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

How do I change my name in my DEERS record?

You’ll need to call the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) support office. They’ll tell you what documents to provide and what to do next. 

Call the DMDC at 800-538-9552. They’re open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (closed on federal holidays). If you have hearing loss, call TTY: 866-363-2883.

If you’re a Veteran or family member and you’ve changed your legal name, you must update your name in DEERS. This keeps you eligible for military benefits like TRICARE—and any VA benefits you receive.

Note: DEERS is the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System. It’s maintained by the Department of Defense.

How do you rate your experience on this page?

Error Please select an answer

Related information

VA benefits

  • Records

    Apply for a printed Veteran ID card, get your VA benefit letters and medical records, and learn how to apply for a discharge upgrade.

Need more help?

Last updated: