Skip to Content

Instructions and FAQs for Completing Travel Reimbursement Request

See detailed instructions on completing the VA Form 10-3542.

When can I submit my request for travel reimbursement?

Per national VA Beneficiary Travel regulations contained in 38 CFR, Part 70, all requests for reimbursement of travel expenses must be received by VA Travel staff within thirty calendar days from the date care was received.

How can I submit my request for travel reimbursement?

You can submit your request for travel reimbursement via any one of FIVE methods:

  • Method #1: Use any kiosk machine located in the VA, Medical Center in La Jolla or in our Community Based Outpatient Clinics.
  • Method #2: Use the VA travel claims website:
  • Method #3: Drop your completed paper form in the travel claims box in the travel lobby of the VA Medical Center in La Jolla.
  • Method #4: Mail to the VA at the following address: VA Medical Center, Attn: Beneficiary Travel (136C), 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161
  • Method #5: Fax to the VA at

What do I need to do to get reimbursed if I had an offsite appointment with a "civilian doctor" that the VA paid for me to see?

Fill out this same form that's stapled to this sheet (VA Form 10-3542). Ask your provider's office for documentation on their office letterhead providing the following requirements:

  • Statement showing the Veteran's full name.
  • the date the Veteran completed the appointment(s).
  • The address of the provider's office.
  • Wording showing the appointment was completed.

    Please do not attach an appointment schedule. The key is that the documentation must show the appointment was completed in order for VA to provide reimbursement. Telephonic inquiries cannot satisfy this requirement. Please do not have your provider send it in separately. It has to come with your completed travel reimbursement request form submitted by the Veteran. 

What if I use a P.O. box as my address in the VA system?

You can have a P.O. box address in the VA system. However, travel reimbursement is calculated based on your residential address. Please be advised you may be required to provide proof of residential address under certain circumstances before reimbursement can be provided.

How do I get reimbursed if I used public transportation such as a city bus, Uber, Lyft, MTS Access Shuttle, or North County Lift, etc.?

You must have used the transportation in connection with going to or coming from VA authorized healthcare. You must have a paper receipt showing the amount paid and date of purchase. VA reimburses at a nationally mandated rate of $41.5 cents per mile traveled, up to and not to exceed the amount paid for the pass or the ride. Claims lacking receipt cannot be processed.

Can I be reimbursed for lodging and meals?

Reimbursement for lodging and meals can only be provided if pre-approved by the VA San Diego Beneficiary Travel Dept. prior to the commencement of travel. Receipts must be provided. Claims must be received within thirty calendar days from the date care was received. Reimbursement is calculated at VA prescribed per diem rates. Reimbursement for MTS, NCTD, Taxi, Uber or Lyft, parking tolls, baggage and parking fees all require paper receipt to be included with your claim.


If you have any questions, please call our VA San Diego Beneficiary Travel Department, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7:30am and 4:00pm at 858-552-7457. Thank you.