Post-Baccalaureate Nurse Residency Program
Are you a new graduate registered nurse? The VA San Diego Healthcare System is a great place to begin your career as a new graduate RN! We invite all interested and qualified BSN graduates to apply for the PB-RNR program for the 2023-2024 Cohort starting August 2023.
We recognize that to be successful, a new graduate registered nurse requires support in many forms. The Post-Baccalaureate Registered Nurse Residency (PB-RNR) program is a 12-month program for recently registered nurse graduates as they transition from student to their first professional RN role that allows them to work as confident and experienced RN at the program’s conclusion.
Our program is limited to 6 participants, is highly competitive and seeks new graduate registered nurses who are driven, mission-centric, compassionate, resilient, and possess practical interpersonal skills to be effective change agents. It is an intensive 12-month program, using a three-phase curriculum to prepare the new graduate RN to transition as a competent nurse into various acute care, ambulatory, and outpatient settings with a robust network of resources, strong organizational knowledge, and leadership skills.
About the PB-RNR Program
- Engage in a 12-month trainee program that fosters a supportive learning and working environment, enabling you to perform as an experienced RN at the program’s conclusion
- Participate in supervised and precepted clinical experience, with graduated autonomy as competency is demonstrated
- Enhance clinical and leadership skills in a variety of clinical settings, gaining experience developing and growing your skills and knowledge alongside expert colleagues
- Understand the continuum of care across the entire VA health care system
- Attend biweekly didactic instruction and seminars, experiential learning opportunities and simulation exercises
- Rotate through a variety of units/clinics, including Intensive Care Unit, Emergency Department, and Mental Health.
- Veteran-centered practice environment to Care for Those Who Have Served Us and fulfilling the VA’s mission to ensure that Veterans receive the highest quality of care in a safe environment
Salary & Benefits
- Receive a stipend ($64,972, as of AY2023-24) over the course of the year
- Accrue annual and sick leave starting from day one
- Eligible for health benefits, including medical, dental and vision
Note: PB-RNR nurse residents are considered health professions trainees (HPTs) and there is no commitment required for continued employment after the completion of the year-long program. After successful completion of the residency, we do hope that you will find your calling to care for Veterans within the VA San Diego Health Care System.
Applications for 2023-2024
Our program is limited to 6 participants, is highly competitive and seeks new graduate registered nurses who are driven, mission-centric, compassionate, resilient, and possess effective interpersonal skills to be effective change agents. It is an intensive 12-month program using a three-phase curriculum intended to prepare the new graduate RN to transition as a competent nurse into various acute care, ambulatory, and outpatient settings with a robust network of resources, strong organizational knowledge, and leadership skills.
Interviews: Qualified candidates will be interviewed tentatively 12/18/23 through 01/14/24 (*subject to slight change)
Selection Notification: Selected participants will be notified by late January 2024 (*subject to slight change)
Program Start Date: 03/25/2024 (*subject to slight change)
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have graduated within the past 12 months or be a pending graduate of a BSN or MSN entry level program from a CCNE or ACEN accredited nursing program
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 from your nursing program
- Have no prior RN work experience
- Take RN board exams PRIOR to 02/19/2024
- Be proficient in both spoken and written English
- Pass the VA pre-employment medical exam and drug testing
- Commit to completing the 1-year PB-RNR Program
- Be able to start the program on 03/25/2024 (*subject to slight change)
Application Packet Requirements
- Resume (please include clinical experience from nursing program as well as number of clinical hours, special training/education, previous work experience including paid clinical work experience, volunteer experience, Student Nurse Association participation, leadership experience, etc.)
- Official transcript with date degree conferred and cumulative GPA greater than 3.0. If pending confirmation of degree, an unofficial transcript can be submitted initially. Official transcript required with applicant selection.
- Copy of RN license or NCLEX authorization letter with plan or testing appointment (to be completed before start of program)
- Copy of diploma OR letter from the Dean of the School of Nursing confirming anticipated graduation.
- Cover Letter (1-2 pages), including an essay (one page, no more than 500 words, Times New Roman 12-font, and 1-inch margins) addressing: “Why I Wish to be Selected for the VA San Diego Healthcare System PB-RNR Program.”
- Professional Letters of Recommendation (minimum of two)
- At least 2 from faculty members, one speaking to your academic and one speaking to your clinical performance
- From a supervisor/leader who can speak to your work performance (highly encouraged)
Additional onboarding requirements** will be requested after an initial review of qualifications. These include:
- Proof of TB screening
- Proof of COVID vaccination
- Hep B vaccination or waiver
- Proof of current flu vaccination
- Proof of Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccination
- Proof of Varicella (Chickenpox) immunity or vaccination
- Proof of Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) vaccination
- Proof of Meningococcal vaccination
- Physical exam completed by occupational health
Submit Completed Application Packets
By Email (preferred):
Leslie Lee Dela Cruz-Torio, PhD, RN, CPPS
PB-RNR Program Director
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) Accreditation
The VA-San Diego Healthcare System will undergo an inaugural on-site program accreditation review by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) on March 11th to 13th, 2023. You may provide written comments about the VA-San Diego’s PB-RNR program, by direct submission to CCNE or via the PB-RNR Program Director by 02/19/2024, as follows:
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
655 K Street NW
Washington DC 20001
- Leslie Dela Cruz-Torio, PB-RNR Program Director
Nursing Education & Research Department
3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161