Nutrition Outpatient Programs
San Francisco VA Health Care System offers a variety of nutrition programs. Healthy eating is an important part of your overall health. We all make food decisions daily and have opportunities to make a positive impact on our health. Our dietitian staff will work with you and your care team to optimize your diet to improve your health. Dietitians can help develop a personalized nutrition plan to improve your eating habits to help manage health conditions and decrease the risk for future health problems.
Nutrition education and counseling is offered through group, individual, and telehealth sessions. Dietitian services are available at the San Francisco campus and community VA clinics.
We provide nutrition education and counseling in areas such as:
- Weight management
- Cardiovascular disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- Underweight/malnutrition risk
- Eating habits and eating disorders
We offer comprehensive services to manage and improve your digestive health as a whole, from general nutrition questions to meal planning, we can assist.
MOVE Weight Management Program
If you are interested in our MOVE Weight Management program, we offer individual, telehealth virtual video groups, and in-person group focused on making diet and lifestyle changes for weight management.
Virtual and in-person MOVE Group Sessions are weekly series of classes aimed at helping develop healthier eating habits and meal planning strategies. These classes are also facilitated by interdisciplinary health professionals to help address motivation, emotional eating, healthier coping methods, exercise/activity, and goal setting.
Call to enroll: 415-221-4810 ext. 23234
MOVE! Program Coordinator: Heather Haluska, RDN
Virtual Class Options and Facilitators:
- Mondays, 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Facilitator Tessa Johnson, RDN
Cofacilitators: Dr. Lindsay Wakayama and Gaylene Simmons, OT
- Tuesdays, Noon to 1:00 p.m.; Facilitator Scott Davis, RDN & Tommy Gendzwill, RDN
Cofacilitators: Dr. Lindsay Wakayama and Daniel Ganoza, OT
- Wednesdays, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.; Facilitator: Karen Brooks, RDN
Cofacilitators: Dr. Lindsay Wakayama and Lynn Richards, PT
- Thursdays, 11:00 a.m. to Noon; Facilitator: Leah Falsetto, RDN
Cofacilitators: Dr. Lindsay Wakayama and Sharmayne Yusuff, RT
- Thursdays, 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.; Facilitator: Heather Haluska, RDN
Cofacilitators: Dr. Lindsay Wakayama and Daniel Ganoza
VA Video Connect (VVC) MOVE! Alumni Groups
- Tuesdays (1st, 3rd & 5th of the month), 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays, 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- Fridays, 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
In-Person MOVE Class Option at San Francisco VA Campus
- Wednesdays, Noon to 1:00 p.m. : Location: SFVAMC
- Facilitators: Heather Haluska and Dr. Lindsay Wakayama
Integrative Health Nutrition Class - Virtual Group
Dietitian Asuka Hokazono, RDN, a member of the Integrative Health Team facilitates a series of different integrative functional nutrition classes listed below.
Call to enroll: 415-221-4810 ext. 25918
- Integrative health cooking class - Tuesdays, 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on WebEx
- Anti-inflammatory eating class - Mondays, 11:00 a.m. to Noon on WebEx
- Wellness and Resilience Group -Tuesdays, 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on WebEx 6-week cohort
Nutrition Cooking Class- Virtual Group
Dietitian Tessa Johnson, RDN, facilitates cooking demonstrations from Eureka, CA. Veterans throughout San Francisco VA Health Care System engage online to learn healthy recipes and meal planning strategies.
Recipes are emailed out prior to the class. Participants can learn these easy-to-follow recipes and are encouraged to try them at home.
Call to enroll: 707-269-7529
- Nutrition Cooking Demonstration Class- Wednesdays, 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
If you are interested in scheduling an individual nutrition appointment, please reach out to the following dietitian staff:
San Francisco Outpatient Nutrition Clinic: 415-221-4810 ext. 24262
Downtown SF Outpatient Nutrition Clinic: 415-221-4810 ext. 23360
Oakland Outpatient Nutrition Clinic: 510-267-7921
Integrative Functional Nutrition Clinic: 415-221-4810 ext. 25918
San Bruno Outpatient Nutrition Clinic: 650-615-6080
Santa Rosa Outpatient Nutrition Clinic: 707-569-2474
Clearlake and Ukiah Nutrition Clinics: 415-960-7525
Eureka Outpatient Nutrition Clinic: 707-269-7529
MOVE! Weight Management Program: 415-221-4810 ext. 23234