COVID-19 vaccines and policies
Here's what you need to know about our COVID-19 policies and vaccines.
Starting April 18, 2022, here are our latest policies:
- All Veterans and visitors must wear a mask while inside our facilities, regardless of vaccination status. Veterans who refuse to wear a mask will need to contact their health care team to arrange a virtual appointment.
- Veterans may enter from any public entrance. We are no longer screening Veterans and visitors for symptoms of COVID-19.
- Veterans can bring one visitor of any age to their appointment. With the exception of CLC and mental health, inpatients who are not COVID-positive can have one visitor between 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. daily. CLC and mental health visitation is managed by a national policy.
We are offering COVID-19 vaccines to all Veterans, their spouses, and caregivers. At TVHS, we have the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines. If you want to get your first dose or a booster shot, please call 615-225-3600 to schedule an appointment.
For COVID-19 booster shots, here's what you need to know:
- If you received Moderna, you can get a booster shot at least 6 months after completing your COVID-19 vaccination series.
- If you received Johnson & Johnson, you can get a booster shot at least 2 months after completing your COVID-19 vaccination.
- If you want a SECOND booster shot, the following individuals are eligible:
- 50+ older
- Individuals with immune compromise
- Any age for those who received the J&J vaccine as their initial and 1st booster shot
To get the latest updates and sign up to stay informed about COVID-19 vaccines, visit our vaccine information page.
Commonly asked questions
First, please make sure you've called and scheduled an appointment for your COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine clinic is located in Firm C, room G33 at the Alvin C. York campus in Murfreesboro and is open 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday - Friday. In Nashville, the vaccine clinic is at Pod C and is open 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday - Friday.
If you'd like to receive your COVID-19 vaccine at another TVHS facility, please call us at 615-225-3600.
Yes. COVID-19 booster shots are the same formulation as the current COVID-19 vaccines. However, in the case of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine booster shot, it is half the dose of the vaccine people get for their primary series.
Yes. COVID-19 vaccines are working well to prevent severe illness, hospitalization, and death. However, public health experts are starting to see reduced protection, especially among certain populations, against mild and moderate disease.
Yes. Everyone is still considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-shot series, such as the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as the J&J/Janssen vaccine.