Volunteer or donate
Tuscaloosa VAMC depends on the goodwill of our benefactors and volunteers who wish to give something back to America's Veterans.
Become a volunteer
Tuscaloosa VA care depends on the goodwill of donors and volunteers who want to give something back to America's heroes. Volunteers provide much-needed help throughout the health care system and make patients' experiences more enjoyable. Many different volunteer opportunities are available, and each volunteer's talents are closely matched with one of our assignments.
To volunteer, call or visit the Tuscaloosa VAMC Voluntary Service Office. We will be happy to receive your application or discuss how you can help us in our mission to provide comfort and care to America's veterans.
Volunteer at the Tuscaloosa VA
Volunteers provide many important functions throughout the Medical Center and help make our patients' stay more enjoyable. To find out more information please call our office at 205-554-3550.
To volunteer, fill out an application. Print it, sign it, and either bring it into our Volunteer Service Office in Building 1, 1st floor, Room 149 or you can mail it to our campus:
3701 Loop Road East
Tuscaloosa, AL 35404-5099
We will be happy to receive your application or discuss how you can help us in our mission to provide comfort and care to America's veterans.
Benefits of volunteering
In addition to supporting Veterans in your area, you'll enjoy the following benefits as a VA volunteer:
- Free Canteen meals during shifts of four or more hours
- Free parking at your volunteer facility
- Annual tuberculosis test
- Free annual flu shots
- Job skills development
- Career exploration opportunities
- Red Coat Ambassador volunteers - Greet outpatients, guests, visitors and patients' families, and answering general questions about our campus. Ambassador volunteers are our frontline representatives stationed at the main information desk.
- Coffee Bar Attendants - Our coffee bar volunteers help spread the joy of coffee and community to visiting Veterans and Family members at the facility. The coffee station is situated in our main building, where you will get to socialize with just about everyone who works or visits our campus.
- Golf Cart Valet - Golf Cart Valets drive around our campus parking lots to assist Veterans and family members, by shuttling them from their cars to the front door of the facility. This helps so many Veterans that have mobility issues to provide a quick and easy way to their appointments.
Volunteer opportunities for youth
The Spirit of Summer Youth Volunteer Experience invites students ages 14 to 18 to explore volunteer opportunities at VA. The program helps students learn more about VA careers, hone their job skills, meet new people, and serve our Nation's heroes. All students who complete the program earn a participation certificate.
Volunteer to make a difference
Our Nation's Veterans have given so much to preserve our freedom, and volunteering at VA is a great way to serve them with gratitude and thanks. Volunteers in the Spirit of Summer Youth Volunteer Experience help in the following ways:
- Serving coffee
- Directing patients within VA facilities
- Helping in clinics
- Supporting recreation programs
In addition, they meet fantastic people, learn new skills, and have fun!
Program participants will have access to these perks:
- Summer Youth Certificate for 80 hours (or more) of service
- Complimentary VA Pittsburgh Summer Youth Volunteer polo shirt
- Daily lunch for four or more hours of service
- Free parking
- Invitation to participate in special programs throughout the summer
The Spirit of Summer Youth Volunteer Experience offers the following benefits:
- Supports the VA Pittsburgh mission of providing excellent care and service
- Helps students adopt a service attitude
- Reminds students of the contributions of our Servicemen and women
- Allows students to learn more about various health care occupations
- Creates an investment in the future of our Nation
- Teaches communication and job-related skills
Learn more about the Youth Volunteer program
If you're a student who's interested in participating in the Youth Volunteer program (or if you know students who might be interested), contact Debra Cain, the Voluntary Services Program Leader.
Make a donation
Generous donations from people like you help helps us provide enhanced services to Veterans receiving care. You can make a monetary donation by mail, or drop off a donation of materials to one of our main campus.
Donations needed for Inpatient Veterans
Personal Comfort Items Needed for Patients
THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF NEEDED ITEMS YOU COULD DONATE THAT WOULD ENHANCE THE LIVES OF, AND BE MUCH APPRECIATED BY, THE RESIDENTS OF THE TUSCALOOSA VA MEDICAL CENTER:
- Men’s shower shoes all sizes (urgent need) sizes Med, L, 1X, 2X, 3X
- Clear backpacks
- New/Used in excellent condition - Men’s blue jeans large sizes 34, 36, 38, 40, 42
- Gift cards for the movie theater
- T-shirts white (M, L, XL, 2X, 3X)
- Nonskid socks/slippers
- Alzheimer's and Dementia Therapy Pet Cats/Dogs
- Baseball caps
- Shampoo, (3 in 1) body wash spray deodorant, liquid soap, mouthwash, toothpaste, razors
- Coats, sweaters, jackets, vests, sweat shirts (ladies and men sizes)
- Men tennis shoes and dress shoes sizes 11 -15
- Suits and dresses, shirts all sizes
- Duffle bags
- Spiral notebooks
- Decaf Coffee for Veterans Coffee Bar
- (Large Cans)
- New casual dockers slacks men sizes 36-44
- Feminine hygiene products and bra’s all sizes
- Belts - M, L, XL, 2X, 3X
- Mouthwash without alcohol, toothbrushes
- Men and lady’s underwear (M, L, XL, 2X, 3X)
- Hair brushes and combs, shaving cream
- Sweaters (M, L, XL, 2X, 3X)
- Gift card for bowling
- Packaged snacks and crackers
- Long sleeve shirts and polo shirts L, XL, 2X, 3X Hard back/paperback books
- Stamps for mailing letters
Please call 205-554-3550 or email TuscaloosaVoulnteers@va.gov to arrange receipt of your donation.
Donate Money or Time
If you would like to volunteer to donate your time, or some financial assistance, please visit the VA Voluntary Service Volunteer or Donate Page.
Tuscaloosa VA Medical Center Volunteer Services
Acting Voluntary Service Officer
VA Tuscaloosa health care
Volunteer Service Assistant
VA Tuscaloosa health care
Public Affairs Officer
VA Tuscaloosa health care