Become a Volunteer or Donate
VA West Palm Beach Healthcare System depends on the goodwill of our supporters. You can make a difference when you help us serve our Veterans.
Become a Volunteer or Donate
The West Palm Beach VA Healthcare System is grateful for the continued support of volunteers, donors, and other community partners. Through this generosity we can supplement services and increase the quality of care to America’s heroes.
The Center for Development and Civic Engagement (CDCE) at the facility manages all volunteers, oversees donations, and facilitates community partnerships and related philanthropic engagement.
Monetary and non-monetary donations are used for the comfort and welfare of our Veterans. Just as the gift of time from a volunteer is needed, non-monetary items such as personal care items are also appreciated. Our list of needs changes often, so please contact us to discuss accepted donations before dropping anything off.
Monetary donations are essential in providing supplemental services to our Veterans. Donated funds may be deposited in our general purpose account for the benefit of Veterans, or may be specified for a particular area:
General Purpose for the benefit of patients
Chaplain (Jewish, Protestant, Catholic or general)
Community Living Center
Spinal Cord Injury Service
Other programs not listed can receive specific (earmarked) donations too! Contact the CDCE office 561-422-7373) for information.
Become a volunteer
Volunteers provide many important functions throughout the hospital and help make our patients' stay more enjoyable. Coming from a variety of professions, physical abilities, cultural backgrounds, and schedule availability, we match volunteers to assignments that will have the most impact to allow us to extend and maximize services.
The onboarding process includes:
- Being 18 years old (a youth program for students 14-17 is provided during the summer months when visitation and health / safety restrictions permit)
- Requesting a volunteer onboarding checklist via email or in person (room BC-244)
- Completing all applicable screenings (such as a background and health screening)
- Completing an application and attending orientation
- Placement and badge pick up
The full onboarding process may take 2 - 3 weeks. We are constantly adding new volunteer positions weekly , call our office to discuss what is currently open.
Volunteer assignments are limited at this time, however as we move forward from COVID-19 restrictions we are opening up new volunteer assignments weekly. After you submit a request to volunteer via email or in person a CDCE team member will contact you to discuss available options and the onboarding process.
To submit a request to volunteer or
direct questions to the CDCE office at:
Student Volunteers (High School and College)
The CDCE office does oversee shadowing and observations by individuals NOT seeking academic credit for their time. Observers still must complete the full volunteer onboarding process prior to placement. Currently Shadowing opportunities are in the summer May through August for both College and High school Students interested in careers in Healthcare.
If you are between the ages of 14-17 we will be providing a Summer Youth Program for Summer 2023. Hours earned can be utilized towards High school graduation requirements and Bright Future Scholar community service hours.
If interested in shadowing or summer youth program please send email to VHAWPBCDCEStudentVolunteers@va.gov and indicate which program and your age.
Make a Donation
Donations provide for the increasing needs of the Veterans we serve. All donations are tax-deductible.
Types of donations
- Hygiene items (shampoo, body wash, lotions, razors, deodorant)
- Paperback books only at this time
- New clothing for men and women, new socks and underwear (NO USED Clothing at this time)
- Puzzles, crossword books, word search, hand held games
- Nonperishable food items with an expiration fate of at least 6 months out.
- Cases of Water (large and small bottles)
- Sleeping bags and tents
- Flashlights with batteries
- Baby Shower items (Diapers all sizes, Bottles, wipes) Call for specifics
- Gift Cards (gasoline and supermarket)
We Do not accept the following
- No Hardcover books
- No used clothing or shoes
- No Opened and used hygiene products
- NO FURNITURE
- NO Durable Medical Equipment (wheel chairs, walkers, hospital beds)
Please contact us to ensure the items you have are acceptable and to coordinate a date and time for the donation drop off. Only CDECE staff are authorized to accept donations. Please ensure you have the donation form filled out when dropping off donations.
Donations are accepted Monday through Friday 8am to 4pm by appointment only.
Call 561-422-7373 to schedule a donation drop off.