At the VA Wilmington Healthcare System, we’re dedicated to improving the lives of you and your family every day.
About the VA Wilmington Healthcare System
The Wilmington Healthcare System provides you with world-class health care, trains America’s future health care providers, and conducts important medical research.
Health care and services
We provide you with health care services at 6 locations in Delaware and southern New Jersey: the Wilmington VA Medical Center (hospital) and 5 community-based outpatient clinics. We also have a community living center (nursing home). To learn more about the services each Wilmington health care location offers, visit the Wilmington health care page.
Wilmington health care, the only VA health care system in Delaware, is an innovative care center within the Veterans Integrated Service Network 4 (VISN 4). VISN 4 includes medical centers in Altoona, Butler, Coatesville, Erie, Lebanon, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Wilkes-Barre in Pennsylvania; Wilmington in Delaware; and 44 outpatient clinics in Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and Ohio. Learn more about VISN 4.
Teaching and learning
More than 200 medical residents get part of their training at the Wilmington VA Medical Center every year. We’re proud of our affiliations with top medical schools that support the educational mission of VA, like:
- Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University (Philadelphia)
- University of Maryland
- Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (New Jersey)
- Pennsylvania College of Optometry at Salus University
Through these affiliations, we support residencies and other medical training programs in family medicine, psychiatry, internal medicine, geriatrics, ocular (eye) disease, pain management, nursing, dental technology, dietetics (nutrition), social work, and pharmacy.
2021 Fast facts
- Over 17,000 Veterans Vaccinated at Wilmington VAMC and it's 5 CBOCs.
- We had 1,198 full-time employees; about 28% are Veterans.
- Our annual operating budget is about $234.4 million.
- Encounters completed via Telehealth 47,711.
- Encounters completed via Tele-Mental Health 18,702.
- In 2021, we had 233,247 outpatient visits, 789 hospital admissions and 1,305 surgical procedures.
- Total unique patients: 39,593.
- Wilmington VA Medical Center has 114 regularly scheduled volunteers.
- 1250 total staff across the Medical Center and CBOC’s 1000 Non Veterans Employees.
The VA Wilmington Medical Center is fully accredited as a cancer center. Our facilities and programs have also received accreditation from:
- The Joint Commission - TJC accreditation is nationally recognized as a symbol of quality and is considered one of VHA’s major external quality reviews. Maintaining healthcare accreditation for all VHA facilities is consistent with one of VHA’s goals to “Provide Excellence in Healthcare Value.” TJC accreditation confers recognition that healthcare organizations meet certain standard of quality and safety and confers deemed compliance with health care quality.
- Behavior Health
- Home Care
- Commission on Accredited of Rehabilitation Facilities - CARF serves as the preeminent standards-setting and accrediting body for rehabilitation programs and services. This independent, not-for-profit commission promotes and advocates for the quality, value, and optimal outcomes of services delivered to people with disabilities and others in need of rehabilitation services.
- Grant Perdiem
- Intensive Community Mental Health Recovery Services
Annual reports and newsletters
If you need access to an Annual Report or newsletter prior to 2020, please email us.
Newsletters | Town Halls
2022 November Veteran Newsletter: Important Veteran Newsletter, November 2022 Edition (govdelivery.com)
2022 October Veteran Newsletter: Important Veteran Newsletter, October 2022 Edition (govdelivery.com)
2022 September Veteran Newsletter: Important Veteran Newsletter, September 2022 Edition (govdelivery.com)
2022 August Veteran Newsletter: Important Veteran Newsletter, August 2022 Edition (govdelivery.com)
2022 July Veteran Newsletter: Important Veteran Newsletter, July 2022 Edition (govdelivery.com)
2022 June Veteran Newsletter: Important Veteran Newsletter, June 2022 Edition (govdelivery.com)
VA Healthcare-VISN 4
Get the latest news from VISN 4 in our Vision for Excellence newsletter and learn how we are improving access to care and earning Veterans' trust.
Read the latest VISN 4 annual report for news about the many accomplishments across our network and what we have been doing to provide excellent care for Veterans.