Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Community Care

Quick Links
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

How to Apply for CHAMPVA

icon of formIf you provide all of the required and optional documents, and if your application is complete, then it takes approximately six weeks after we get your package until you get your CHAMPVA identification card and related materials.

We are currently experiencing a backlog in processing applications. If you have questions regarding the status of your application, we encourage you to call the CHAMPVA call center at 800-733-8387.

If you provide only the required documents, and not the optional documents, processing can take two to eight months since we have to confirm information with other federal agencies.

Once we get your application, we will review it to be sure it is complete and that all the required forms are included. If your application is not complete, we will return it to you with further instructions.

Brochure: How To Apply for CHAMPVA

Fact Sheet: CHAMPVA Eligibility, Application Instructions, and Use of Other Health Insurance

Required Documents

To apply for CHAMPVA benefits, you must submit the following documents:

Optional Documents

You can speed up the processing of your application if you also send copies of the following documents:
(Please do not send originals)

  • The VBA rating decision showing the Veteran is permanently and totally disabled (or death rating for a survivor)
  • Veteran's DD214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or if the Veteran was a WWII or Korean War Veteran, the Report of Separation. If you do not have a copy of the necessary form, you may request it by submitting a Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, from the National Archives.
  • If you are a remarried widow/widower and are once again single, provide a copy of the legal documentation that terminated the remarriage. The legal documentation of termination of a remarriage may be a divorce decree, death certificate or annulment decree.
  • Birth certificate/adoption papers for children
  • School certification of full-time enrollment for children ages 18-23 years

    Fact Sheet: School Enrollment Certification Requirements for CHAMPVA Benefits

Application Submission

VHA Office of Integrated Veteran Care
CHAMPVA Eligibility
PO Box 469028, Denver CO 80246-9028

Fax: 303-331-7809

IMPORTANT: Ensure the application is signed and dated. Also, if applying for a spouse, please include the date of marriage on the application.


How to Request Military Personnel Files

Instructions about who can request Official Military Personnel Files and the information required to locate them can be viewed on the National Archives Veterans' Service Records website.

Online: National Archives Veterans' Service Records

Fax: 314-801-9195

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis MO 63138