Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Community Care


Quick Links

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

Foreign Medical Program (FMP)

For eligible Veterans living or traveling abroad, VA offers medical services through the Foreign Medical Program (FMP). Through this program, FMP will pay for health care services, medications, and durable medical equipment for service-connected conditions and conditions associated with and held to be aggravating a service-connected condition. VA may authorize foreign medical services for any condition if you are participating in the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Title 38, U.S. Code, Chapter 31).

Reimbursement for COVID-19 Vaccination

Veterans currently living or travelling outside the United States who are eligible for the VA Foreign Medical Program (FMP) can receive reimbursement from VA for a COVID-19 vaccine. Learn more about COVID-19 vaccine reimbursement below.

How to Enroll

Enrolling in FMP is simple. Fill out the FMP Registration Form (VA Form 10-7959f-1) and send to VHA Office of Integrated Veteran Care. (Fillable PDFs can be completed online, saved and printed.)

FMP Registration Form (VA Form 10-7959f-1)

You may also send your full name, mailing address, address of residence (including country), and VA claim number to the VHA Office of Integrated Veteran Care.

To enroll in FMP, mail your information to:

VHA Office of Integrated Veteran Care
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
P.O. Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061

We will confirm your service-connected disabilities and send you a benefits authorization letter, which outlines the medical conditions we cover. For more information about the program, you can call toll-free number listed below.

Foreign Medical Program Office: 877-345-8179.

COVID-19 Vaccine

Veterans currently living or travelling outside the United States who are eligible for the VA Foreign Medical Program (FMP) can receive reimbursement from VA for a COVID-19 vaccine.*

We can pay for a COVID-19 vaccine that is formally approved for use by the national health authorities of the country in which the Veteran receives the vaccine. It does not need to be a COVID-19 vaccine authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), but should be authorized for emergency use in the country the Veteran is traveling in or residing. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has information about FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccines.

CDC information about FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccines

Getting a Vaccine

Veterans should make arrangements to receive a COVID-19 vaccine from a provider in their community.


After you get the vaccine, ask the provider to send submit a claim directly to the VA Foreign Medical Program in Denver, CO for reimbursement. If the provider doesn’t submit the claim directly to VA FMP, then you will need to pay the provider and submit a claim to us, including proof of payment.

The process for submitting claims is the same for the provider and the Veteran. To submit a claim, complete VA Form 10-7959f-2, FMP Claim Cover Sheet.

FMP Cover Sheet (VA Form 10-7959f-2)

Make sure to include:

  • Veteran’s full name
  • U.S. social security number
  • VA claim file number
  • Date of birth
  • Physical address
  • Mailing address
  • Country
  • Telephone number
  • Email address

Next, attach an itemized invoice or receipt from the provider for the COVID-19 vaccine and its administration. We recommend both the form and any invoices or receipts be written in English. While we will translate the claim submission if provided in another language, we will need more time for translation. We also recommend making a copy of the completed form and any invoices or receipts for your records.

Make sure the provider’s receipt or invoice includes:

  • Provider’s full name, medical title, office address, phone number, and billing address (if different from the office address)
  • Name of the COVID-19 vaccine/vaccine manufacturer
  • Billed charge and date(s) for each service

Once everything is together, submit the completed VA Form 10-7959f-2, FMP Claim Cover Sheet, invoice, proof of payment/receipt in a single packet to VA FMP using one of the methods below:

VHA Office of Integrated Veteran Care
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
P.O. Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061

(303) 331-7803

When we get it, we will review the claim to make sure all required documentation is present and that we can pay for the COVID-19 vaccination. We will contact you if we need more information. Please note that claim amounts are converted to U.S. dollars according to the foreign currency rate on the date of service, and claims must be submitted within two years from the date of service. Once approved, reimbursement is provided via U.S. Treasury check, usually within 145 days.

Certain countries are excluded from FMP. We cannot reimburse the cost of any treatment, including COVID-19 vaccines, for Veterans who receive services in countries where U.S. Department of Treasury checks are restricted or where travel is prohibited.

*Coverage of COVID-19 vaccines to eligible Veterans under FMP was provided by the SAVE LIVES Act, enacted on March 24, 2021.

Benefits and Claims

To learn more about what services are covered under FMP, including detailed information about FMP benefits, how to submit claims, and required forms, visit FMP Benefits and Claims Information.

FMP Benefits and Claims

PLEASE NOTE: Veterans enrolled in the FMP that live in Canada are under the jurisdiction of FMP; however, inquiries and claims must be directed to the Foreign Countries Operations in Canada. Please see the FMP Contacts information listed below.


Your local Veterans Service Organization representative at VA can help you with the registration process. FMP can also help with the registration process, verify your eligibility, authorize benefits, and process and pay FMP claims.

If you are a Veteran living or traveling outside the United States and have questions about other VA benefits such as compensation, pension exams, or disability ratings, you should direct those questions to your servicing VA regional office (VARO).

NOTE: Your servicing VARO is responsible for establishing service-connected disabilities. They are also responsible for administering educational benefits, vocational rehabilitation, and other benefit programs.

If you are living abroad and want to make a new application for any non-medical benefits, or have questions about non-medical benefits, please visit the Veterans Living Overseas website. To find your your local VA medical facility, you can use the online VA Facility Locator.

FMP Contacts

Any assistance you may need regarding your health care can be obtained by contacting the FMP Program Office, USA. (Veterans living in Canada must contact the Foreign Countries Operations in Canada.)

FMP Office, USA

VHA Office of Integrated Veteran Care
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
PO Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061

Toll-free phone: 877-345-8179

Fax: 303-331-7803

Online Service: Ask VA (AVA)


Veterans Living in Canada (for medical claim filing)

Foreign Countries Operations (FCO)
2323 Riverside Dr., 2nd Floor
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada, K1A OP5

Toll-free phone: 888‑996‑2242

Fax: 613-991-0305

Veterans Living Abroad (for written correspondence, except medical claims)

Location of Residence: Africa, American Samoa, Asia, Australia, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Europe, Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Republic of the Philippines, South America, or the U.S. Virgin Islands

Department of Veterans Affairs
Evidence Intake Center
PO Box 4444
Janesville, WI 53547-4444

Fax toll-free: 248-524-4260

Toll-free Phone Service

USA/Canada: 877-345-8179

Australia: 1800 354 965

Costa Rica: 0800-013-0759

Germany: 0800 1800011

Italy: 800 782655

Japan: 00531-13-0871

Mexico: (001) 877-345-8179

Spain: 900 981 776

UK: 0800-032 7425

Change of Address?

If you change your address, it is vital that you let FMP know your new address as soon as possible. You can mail your information to the FMP Office, USA, or call us at 877-345-8179. Please help us keep our records up to date!

Frequently Asked Questions

I am a Veteran eligible for FMP. Can VA send a COVID-19 vaccine to my location?

No, VA cannot send COVID-19 vaccines overseas. Provision and administration of a COVID-19 vaccine is conducted locally.

I am a Veteran eligible for, but not enrolled in FMP. Can I still get a COVID-19 vaccine through FMP?

Yes, you can submit a claim to FMP to be reimbursed for the COVID-19 vaccine before enrolling in the program. If you are eligible, after VA receives your claim, VA will enroll you in the program, and then issue you the reimbursement. If you are not enrolled, be sure to include a completed Foreign Medical Program (FMP) Registration Form when submitting your claim.

FMP Registration Form (VA Form 10-7959f-1)

I am a Veteran located in the Philippines. Can I get a COVID-19 vaccine directly through VA?

Veterans enrolled at the VA Manila Outpatient Clinic can receive their COVID-19 vaccination at the clinic. All other Veterans may be vaccinated at the VA Manila Outpatient Clinic as vaccine supplies allow. Information about the VA Manila Outpatient Clinic and COVID-19 vaccines are located at:

If the VA Manila Outpatient Clinic is too far away or too difficult to access, you can receive a COVID-19 vaccine from a local community provider and send a claim to FMP for reimbursement, if you are eligible for FMP. Veterans can also contact the VA Manila Outpatient Clinic via email to receive more information.

I am a Veteran located in a foreign country and not eligible for FMP. How do I get a COVID-19 vaccine?

Please refer to the local U.S. embassy website or social media account for the country in which you are located. Country-specific information and guidance for COVID-19, including vaccine availability, is located on the following U.S. State Department website:

Travel.State.Gov: COVID-19 Country Specific Information

I am a Veteran eligible for and enrolled in FMP. Can my spouse and/or caregiver also get a COVID-19 vaccine through FMP?

Under current law, VA cannot reimburse COVID-19 vaccines for spouses and caregivers through FMP.

Should Veterans with VA-rated, service-connected disabilities register with FMP prior to traveling abroad?

Veterans with a service-connected disability who are simply traveling abroad do not need to notify FMP. Veterans who are permanently relocating to a country under the FMP’s jurisdiction are encouraged to notify VHA OCC upon establishing a permanent foreign mailing address.

Are VA-furnished medications available under FMP?

Due to the international restrictions associated with the shipment of prescription drugs, FMP does not offer a pharmacy mailout program. Physicians should only prescribe medications that are legally available within the Veteran's country of residence and are accepted by VA and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Are FMP-eligible Veterans restricted to specific health care providers?

Although Veterans may select medical providers of their choice, we recommend–but do not require–that providers have the ability to produce their medical documentation and billing statements in English. Medical documentation from a health care provider must either be in English or in the original language. Documentation submitted to FMP in the original language will be sent for translation and may delay claims processing. Regardless of language, all documentation and billing statements must be legible.

Does FMP authorization cover required health care services while the Veteran is visiting in the United States?

No. FMP authorizations are limited to health care services obtained in foreign countries only. Should services be required while in the United States, the Veteran should contact the nearest VA health care facility. Visit the VA Facility Locator page to find your local VA health care facility.

VA Facility Locator